Chapter 19

Liam

A while after the speeches had concluded, the party was in full swing. Everyone was dancing, laughing, and having a fantastic time. I don't think Chase let go of Lindsey for more than a few seconds once dinner ended.

After the dancing started, I looked around for Mel, but couldn't find her. I began to worry that my speech had taken things too far. Though, from the outside, it would seem like my words were just meant for Chase and Lins, Mel seemed to know better. She knew my words were meant for her.

Maybe I messed up. Maybe I took it too far.

Several songs had passed, and I still hadn't seen any sign of her. I was leaning against the bar, looking around, when someone nudged my side. I turned around to see Taylor grinning at me.

"Sup, Tay?"

"That speech you gave was incredible."

I looked down at my glass, avoiding eye contact. "Uh, yeah. Thanks."

"Was any of that inspired by a certain redheaded beauty?"

My head snaps up as she continues. "You should go ask her to dance. She's just over there."

Tay points across the room where Mel is pressed against a wall, looking like she's trying to hide. Fuck, is she hiding from me?

"Tay, I don't think she wants to see me right now."

Tay shakes her head. "It's not you she's hiding from, Liam. She's avoiding Ben and some of the other guys. If you want to help her, go rescue her."

Before I can decide anything, I feel Tay's small hands push me away from the bar and in the direction of Mel.

Throwing caution to the wind, I continue toward her. As I approach, she stiffens, sensing me behind her. I clear my throat, trying to work up the nerve to ask her to dance. "Hey, Mel."

I see her relax at the sound of my voice as she turns to face me. "Hi, Liam."

"Will you dance with me?"

She smiles shyly as I extend my hand. "I'd love to."

The music changes to a slow ballad as the two of us reach the dancefloor. She puts her arms on my shoulders as I place mine on her waist. We start to sway with the beat as other couples join in.

Neither of us has said anything. She seems bashful and won't look me in the face. I need her to look at me. "So, are you having fun?" I ask, drawing her eyes up.

Her beautiful blue eyes widen as she nods her head. "I am."

I smile gently at her, trying to find my next words. She beats me to it. "Your speech. It was lovely."

I watch her intently as I reply, "I was inspired."

A faint pink appears on her cheeks as I continue studying her, wishing for the courage to make my next move.

"You were?"

I feel my eyes soften along with my voice. "I was."

She's staring back at me, looking so beautiful, so tempting.

God, I want to kiss her so badly!

Before I can make any rash decisions, the song ends, and Mel's arms lower to her sides. Too soon. Reluctantly, I release her.

I start to ask if she wants to keep dancing, but she speaks before I get the chance. "Do you want to grab a drink with me?"

I nod, happy that our time is not yet up. "Absolutely."

For the rest of the night, the two of us split our time together between the bar and the dancefloor, slowly loosening up with every drink we consume. Several friends and family members join us at both locations, including the newlyweds and Tay and T.J.

Several hours and countless drinks later, Mel and I are both sufficiently tipsy, bordering dangerously on the line of drunk. The reception hall has started to thin out. Most of the wedding guests have retreated to their rooms for the night, including the newlyweds, leaving a handful of the hockey team, Tay, T.J., Mel, and myself, to enjoy what's left of the night.

T.J. and Tay are on the dancefloor, wrapped up in each other as they sway slowly as if nothing else in the world matters. They're joined by Ben and Damien, who have women I've never seen before wrapped around them.

Mel and I are sitting at the bar with Rob and Drew, who are half-wasted when Mel taps my shoulder. "Hey, can you take me back to my room? I don't think I will last much longer."

I nod, helping her off her stool, holding her tightly so she doesn't fall. We quickly tell everyone goodnight before heading up to our rooms. Mel starts to stumble as we ascend the stairs to get to our elevator.

I catch her before she falls. "Whoa there. Careful, Mel. I don't wanna see you get hurt."

Laughing, she replies, "You won't let that happen, Liam. You're a good guy."

She starts to trail off, mumbling to herself, "The best guy."

I smile at her words. She must be more inebriated than I thought.

We reach the elevator as Mel curls into my side, sighing. "You're such a good guy, Liam. Such a good guy."

I pull her closer as the elevator starts to move toward our floor. My stomach drops as I realize our night together is about to end.

~

The elevator stops, doors opening to our floor. Damn. I guess it's time.

I help Mel down the hall to her room, opening the door for her after she fumbles with her key. She holds on to me tightly as we slowly walk to her bed. Once we're close, she flops down on the edge, tossing her clutch to the floor.

I chuckle as I bend down to help her out of her shoes, slowly lifting one foot at a time into my lap as I peel off her sandals. I see her lying flat on her back, eyes closed as her hair splays out behind her like a glowing halo.

I smile, removing the flower from her hair and shaking her shoulder gently when I'm finished. "Mel. Do you want to change clothes?"

She shakes her head lightly before rolling over and crawling up the bed and under the covers.

I grab a trash can and move it next to her in case she wakes up feeling sick. Before I leave, I grant myself one more look. She's beautiful, even in her current state. I tuck a strand of hair behind her ear, gently stroking her cheek as I go. Then, before I can stop myself, I bend down, planting a light kiss on her forehead.

"Goodnight, Mel."

Just as I turn to leave, I hear her stir. "Liam?"

"Yeah, Mel?"

Her following words are as soft as a whisper. "Will you stay with me?"

A/N:

Please excuse me while I go to another room and dance around while screaming excitedly... *goes and does just that*

Hmmm, what will our sweet sweet Liam do? 

😏😏😏😏😏

Find out tomorrow!...

😘😘😘😘😘