Chapter 50

Mel

The hockey season is kicking into full gear, which means the team will be traveling more for games soon. In light of that, I wanted to spend what time Liam and I have together making fun memories.

I still feel horrible about the way our date ended at the arena. Liam was so thoughtful and planned everything so beautifully. Since everything settled down after that, I've been trying to think of a way to make it up to him.

After what he did with Tammy's rink, I think I finally have a perfect idea. I had to call in reinforcements to help get everything set up, but we were able to do so quickly while the guys were gone. Once he and T.J. get home, I will steal him away and take him on our date.

~

Their practice wasn't as long as usual. They'll be leaving tomorrow to start another road trip, so Coach is taking it easy on them today. It's something I'm grateful for since this date will last several hours.

I hope Liam likes it.

Taylor shoots me a wink as the guys get home. She and Lins helped set everything up for the date, so she knows exactly what I have in store for my favorite hockey player.

As soon as Liam sees me, happiness spreads across his face. He strides through the room, crushing me against him in a tight embrace. "How's my girl?"

I smile as I wrap my arms around his waist, sighing dreamily. "I'm doing well. I have a surprise for you," I tell him as he plants kisses on top of my head.

"Yeah? Where is it?" He asks, the excitement evident in his voice.

I chuckle as I reply, "I'll show you, but you need to change real quick. You'll want some jeans and a warm jacket."

Liam doesn't argue but eyes me curiously as he backs his way to his room. Less than five minutes later, he emerges dressed and ready to go. With a quick goodbye to T.J. and Taylor, we head to our first stop.

~

Liam squeezes my hand as we stand outside the pizza parlor. It's his favorite restaurant, and it happened to be one of Justin's favorites as well.

"We don't have to eat her, Mel, really." The look in his is guarded. I can feel a slight tension as he grips my hand.

He's worried about me, but I'm alright. I feel no heaviness coming here now. It's a place full of memories- all of them good- and I'm excited to move forward and make many new ones in the future. Starting now.

I give Liam a genuine smile. "I want to do this, Liam. I'm alright. I promise."

He loosens up a bit, softening his grip and relaxing the muscles on his face. "Plus, they have the best pepperoni pizza in the city," I add with enthusiasm, pulling him inside so we can kick this date off right.

~

After we finished eating, I presented Liam with a pair of movie tickets to the same theater we went to on our maybe-it-wasn't-a-date date. He chuckled as we made our way to the building to catch our show. I think he figured out my plan at that point. If he didn't, our next stop was sure to give it away...

He chuckled as we walked closer and closer to the zoo. "Are you trying to recreate something here, Mel?" He asked, hugging me into his side.

My smile was hidden as I burrowed into his chest. "You mean, like our actual first date? You know, the one we were too stubborn to admit was a date..."