Chapter 14

Liam

I've been waiting for this day for so long. I'd imagined all the things that would happen, all the different scenarios, but I never once imagined that I'd have Mel in my arms before we left New York.

Granted, the only reason that happened was a series of unfortunate events.

If she didn't have a fear of flying, and if she didn't just happen to forget her medication at the apartment, I never would have had the opportunity to hold her like that so soon. Part of me is grateful for it, and the other part is chastising myself for thinking that way.

Seriously, what kind of masochist wants the woman he likes to go through something like that?

I know I'm not actually a masochist. It hurt me to see Mel in that state. She looked so scared and defeated when she realized she didn't have her medication. I felt horrible. If I could have, I would have taken all of that on for her.

I would have taken away her fear and pain and made it my own if it would have given her solace. Since that was impossible, I did the only thing I could think of to help her. I tried to make her feel safe- I wrapped my arm around her and told her she wasn't alone.

In that moment, I don't think she realized how badly we both needed it. My actions may have seemed selfless at the time, but I know the truth. I needed her in my arms just as much as she needed to be in them.

And my words didn't convey everything that I needed them to. The words I spoke were cheap compared to what I truly wanted to say- that I need her, that she makes my heart flutter and my knees weak.

What I wanted so badly to say... What I'm so petrified to admit aloud... Those were the actual words racing through my head when I was comforting her. That was what I really meant. Compared to what I feel in my bones for her, the words I spoke were pitiful.

Somehow, they still gave her comfort. They still helped guide her through the panic. And when she finally relaxed, she didn't pull away. She stayed right where she was, holding onto me like I was her light in the darkness- as if I were the only thing she could find peace with.

I could feel the moment she fell asleep. The rise and fall of her chest as she breathed softly against me brought me immense joy. I finally had the girl of my dreams in my arms, holding her as she slept.

I nearly waved the flight attendant off when she came up to our row, but my conscience got the better of me. After begrudgingly waking the sleeping beauty on my chest, I felt a cold longing for the rest of the flight. In all honesty, I wanted to coax Mel back into my arms and stay there for as long as possible.

I would have held her there for days if she'd let me. The way she fit so easily against me and how she reacted to my soothing ministrations gave me hope that something more could happen between us. Perhaps something more will during our stay in paradise.

~

When the flight crew was preparing for landing, I could feel Mel tense up next to me. I gave her what I hoped was a reassuring look when I felt her grip my hand forcefully.

I was saddened when she refused to let go of my hand, hoping to offer her instead a safe haven curled up against my chest. As soon as I realized that wouldn't happen, I squeezed her hand supportively and told her she could lean against my shoulder if she needed to.

Mere seconds later, I felt the weight of her head on my shoulder as her free arm curled around mine, holding it prisoner as if it were her only lifeline. I started whispering to her any soothing thing that came to mind, careful not to admit my dangerous emotions.

Her eyes were closed tightly as she clung to me, waiting for her nightmare to be over. The plane started to descend, and Mel held my arm even stronger than before.

I leaned over slightly, placing my free hand on her neck. I stroked her skin slowly as I told her I had her, that she was safe with me. As we got closer and closer to the runway, I kept repeating my words, distracting Mel from the panic that was threatening to settle in her mind.

Before I knew it, we had landed, and I knew it was time to disentangle myself from Mel. I didn't rush that part, though. I let Mel do things at her own rate. If she needed to sit with me like that for another hour, I'd have done it.

I'd do anything for her.

It's hard to admit, but I was incredibly disappointed when it only took her five minutes to pull herself away. She unraveled her fingers from mine and leaned away, gracing me with a shy smile as she did.

We found the others outside the gate and then proceeded on our way to the resort. Chase and Lindsey had a suite on the top floor of the resort. The rest of us had rooms on lower levels.

Once we all checked in and got our room keys, we decided that we would take our things to our rooms and then meet at the resort restaurant for lunch.

T.J. and Taylor's room was on the same floor as Mel's. Much to my delight, so was mine.

The four of us parted with the lovebirds and headed to our floor. When Mel stopped right next to my door, I looked at her curiously.

She noticed my face immediately and blushed, pointing to the door next to mine. "Um, this is me."

Oh, holy shit! What are the chances?

I stared at her door a second too long before clearing my throat. "Oh, um, good. That's good. I'm glad you're close."

She looks at me with wide eyes, her blush deepening. I quickly add, "You know, since this is ya know, not our home country and how anything could happen. I just mean, it's good that you aren't separated from everyone. I can keep an eye on you while we're here."

Oh, fuck. That came out wrong. Now she's gonna think I just want to babysit her.

Great job, Liam. Freaking fantastic.

Lucky for me, Mel doesn't seem to take offense to what just spewed out of my mouth. She smiles at the ground before bringing her bright blue eyes up to meet mine again. "Yeah, it is good. I can keep my eyes on you too."

I'm stunned into silence as I watch her open her door, rolling her suitcase in behind her. Before the door closes, she meets my gaze once more, smiling at me as the latch clicks.

I stand outside for a moment longer before retreating into my own room. Once inside, I lean back against the door, releasing a long exhale.

This is going to be an interesting vacation.