Part 24

Scarlett's POV

The week has gone by in a flash; since seeing Lizzie, we've been running errands, so I'm all ready to film in Atlanta as we leave tomorrow. Today is Friday, and I've got my Fallon interview later. Hunter should be here any minute so that we can take Sawyer to the zoo; I'd like to tire her out at the zoo and then have her fall asleep before my interview backstage with Hunter. I hope that way, she might be alright being left without me for a while.

We went to the doctor yesterday so that Sawyer could have a check-up with my doctor; not that I don't trust the doctor she had in England; I just wanted to be sure. Dr Sloan agreed with what the other doctor said about Sawyer's height but said her weight is improving now that she eats regular meals, which I'm super pleased with. He also said that Sawyer's ankle was fully healed, so her boot came off, which made Sawyer smile.

She wasn't happy about going but wasn't as bad as usual, even looking at Dr Sloan and nodding at his questions by the end of the visit, which made me smile. As soon as we got into the flat, Sawyer started running around, clearly enjoying her freedom which made me laugh. She has been a bundle of energy since the boot came off and doesn't want to sit still for more than a second now that she can run around freely without the cast.

The knock on the broke me from my thoughts as Sawyer came tumbling down the stairs and ran to the door, making me confused; she usually freaks out when the door goes. I can hear Sawyer laughing as I walk towards the door, a smile pulling at my lips as I watch Sawyer showing Hunter how her leg is better. When they spot me, Sawyer comes running over. "Mama, Uncle Hunt used the special knock so I would know it was him," she giggled excitedly, jumping around in front of me.

I wish I could just freeze this moment and have Sawyer this happy all the time, she looks completely free of worry, and that thought only makes my smile grow.

"He did?" I asked, smiling over at Hunter, who nodded along, glad that she had bonded with him so quickly. The fact that he had listened the other night when I said how scared she was of the doorbell, and he found a way to help her with that made me so happy I couldn't describe it. "You ready to go, Scar?" Hunter asked, breaking me from my happy thoughts. Looking up, I saw him standing with an impatient Sawyer sitting on his shoulders, messing with his hair and smiling to herself proudly. "One second" I smile at the pair taking a photo of them just as Sawyer starts laughing at something Hunter said. "Let's go slowpokes", I joked, walking past them and swinging my backpack full of Sawyers's stuff onto my back.

As we walked up to the entrance, I looked over at Sawyer, who was staring at the sign in awe. After a moment, I watched as her whole face lit up in excitement, a happy squeal escaping her lips. "Animals," she cheered before pulling my arm as she tried to run to the entrance. "Hurry up, Mama," she whined when I didn't move fast enough. "Yeah, hurry up, Scar," Hunter chuckled next to me before he walked ahead, making Sawyer drop my hand as she ran to catch him up.

I walk behind them just as Sawyer pulls Hunter down and climbs on his shoulders, laughing as he does. "Mama, look, I'm tall like a giraffe," she giggled as we walked into the zoo. I adjust my cap; Sawyer insisted we match today, so we're both in black jeans and then she has a red hoodie on while I have a red blouse on, with our Black Widow caps finishing the look off. She really was my mini-clone today, and it was adorable.

"Can we see the giraffes first, please, Mama?" She asked, looking intensely at the big map Hunter had stopped in front of before pointing excitedly at the image of the giraffes. "Sure baby, we can see all the animals you want; look, I got you your own map so you can see where we are going," I say, handing her a paper map which she took excitedly.

"...they even stand up to sleep and give birth", Sawyer rambled about the giraffes, making me smile, she is like an encyclopedia of knowledge, and it's adorable. I have no idea how she knows all this because I didn't even tell her we were coming here today, so she had no chance to research beforehand, something I noticed she likes to do if she has the opportunity. "Did you know their hair-covered horns are called ossicones?" She tells Hunter excitedly as he tells her how clueless she is, making me laugh.