escape from reality

Tessa's POV

I desperately tried to fall asleep, but I couldn't even hear my own thoughts it was so loud!

My positive thinking was over. I wanted some decent sleep. I can't wait till two in the morning to fall asleep every night.

It was only midnight, but he doesn't close up for two more hours!

I groaned and pushed the pillow over my ear.

I heard the door open and Dallas throw his stuff to the ground. "Hey, doll you still up?" He asked.

"How am I not supposed to be awake?" I yelled sitting up.

"Look, I know it's loud, but it'll die down eventually."

"Yeah, and by eventually you mean two hours? Dallas, I'm tired." I complained.

"I know, but it's all we got right now."

"Y'know the Curtis' offered us their place, right?" I asked, rudely.

"Ok, well we can't move in there. You think they really mean that?"

"I know, but we could have stayed longer till we find somewhere better." I said.

He rolled his eyes. I knew there was nothing we could do now. I slumped back down and pushed the pillow over my ear.

Dallas took a shower in the bathroom down the hall and went to bed. I wasn't sure if he fell asleep, but I wasn't asleep till maybe one in the morning.

I woke up and yawned as I wasn't ready to get up.

"Morning, darling."

I just groaned.

"How do ya say we go get breakfast? I'm hungry."

I sighed. "I guess I could eat." I muttered.

"Tess, I'm sorry about last night. I know it's not ideal."

"No, I know. I was just annoyed. But I'll survive. I'll be ready in ten." I muttered standing up.

I quickly put myself together and Dallas and I walked down the road to the diner. We got the same stuff we got back in New York, but it just wasn't the same. The food, the place, our personalities.

Maybe running away was a worse idea than I thought.

"Tessa, I know you hate it here and I'm sorry, but it'll look up. I promise. And if you still hate it we can always go back to New York."

"It's just a big change I don't think I was ready for. But it's great here. I really like the people. Well, for the most part." I grinned. "But I just have to get used to it."

Dallas and I moved away from the conversations about hating it here and I loved it. It's like we were back in New York. He acted like he really cared about me and I loved it.

"I'm gonna wash my hands. I spilled syrup all over them." I said with a laugh.

Dallas' POV

I know I was acting like a complete asshole to her. I just didn't know how to act. I haven't had guy friends in so long and it's all just really different.

But I hope this makes up for it.

"Hey." Some girl said sitting across from me.

Jesus Christ.

Tessa's POV

I walked out of the bathroom and I saw some girl sitting in my spot.

"Can I help you?" She asked when she saw me standing next to Dallas.

I just looked at her with a blank stare. "Are you kidding me?" I asked Dallas.

"Tessa, I swear to God I don't know her. She just came up here."

"Figured I'd introduce myself."

"Ok, you did. Now go." Dallas said.

"Can I sit down or am I interrupting something?" I asked.

"Sit down."

"You're interrupting something."

They both spoke at the same time. I rolled my eyes and started to leave. Dallas grabbed my wrist and pulled me back.

"No, Sandra was just leaving." He said.

"It's Sylvia."

"Just get out!" He yelled.

She rolled her eyes and moved out of my spot. "I leave for two minutes and this happens."

"I swear, I don't know why she did that."

"I know. I guess people don't know us like they did in New York." I said finishing my waffles.

We walked out and just kinda took in the town. I felt good knowing Dallas was back to normal. Not trying to impress anyone anymore.

It was just... normal.

Which was exactly how I liked it.

-

I never did get used to living at Buck's. It's been almost one year since we got here and my life's been pretty great.

The only thing not so great is Sylvia. Turns out she has a huge thing for Dallas and she thinks he's perfect for her.

But everything else is awesome. I mean, I get to go and fight people for fun every once in a while when there's feuding between the Socs and greasers.

I live with Dallas for free and he's back to his old self.

I have real friends! Who knew I'd ever be able to find people who wanna hang out with me.

I'll admit, I'm not good with friends. I couldn't keep a friendship going for more than a month before this, but I really think I'm turning things around.

And get this! Mrs. Curtis got Dallas and I into school! Dallas doesn't show up most of the time, but he's still enrolled.

But it was a nice summer night and we've got a rumble coming up next week. More feuding is taking place again and we're gonna settle it out.

"Hey, doll." Dallas said walking in the door.

"Hey." I mumbled, not looking up from my magazine.

"Wanna go for a drive? It's a nice night and fresh air sounds about nice for ya right now." He said grinning.

"A drive? Sure. Why not." I said.

I just took a shower, but it's summer and I'm sixteen. I'll have more time.

I grinned and got up from the bed. I grabbed my keys for my bike and Dallas and I want out back to get our bikes.

I loved just going out for joy rides with Dallas.

A nice little escape from reality.