babysitter

Tessa's POV

I wasn't sure how long I was sitting there, but I didn't even know what to do next.

I wasn't allowed on greaser territory.

And I wasn't allowed on Soc territory.

What now?

I felt blood mix with rain water and I felt disgusting.

It didn't help that Ponyboy messed up my toes even more.

Jesus, lift might just be easier for everyone if i was just dead.

"You ok?"

Whoever was talking startled me. I thought everyone left. I looked up quickly and sighed.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I said, adjusting my position.

"You sure? You don't look too well." He said. He glanced back over to his right. There stood the six other boys I was avoiding.

I felt like a moron.

"Look, if this your way of proving to me I'm an idiot, I don't care. I get it, you won. I don't need your pity." I said quickly as I tried to get up.

"I'm not pitying you. It just looks like you need help." He said as soon as I got my balance.

"Well, I don't! So just go home with them and celebrate your win."

I started to limp away and his hands pressed against my back and next thing I knew I was face first in mud again.

I groaned and turned around. I tried to kick him, but he laughed and avoided it. "Why are you doing this to me!" I yelled trying not to continue crying.

"Now do ya need my help?" He asked offering his hand.

I sighed. I didn't seem to have any options. He wasn't gonna leave me alone. I grabbed his hand and he pulled me up.

I got my balance and he ran up to the guys and they all started cheering again.

They all were cheering on the way back to the Curtis' and I kinda limped behind them. I hated it. It was so awkward.

I mean, I guess what's stopping me from leaving? Not like any of 'em would notice.

I looked in between the houses to see if there was a spot I could sneak through. 

"Hey."

I quickly turned and saw Ponyboy. "What?"

"You look like you're thinking about sneaking through one of those houses yards."

I stayed silent for a moment. "Psh. Crazy." I said avoiding eye contact.

"Why are ya limping?" He asked.

"I'm not." I said trying to be difficult.

"You are. And you and that other Soc ran off when I stepped on your foot. What happened?"

I rolled my eyes. "I broke a few toes. There, happy?" I asked.

"Yeah, I am. But why fight if you can barely walk?" He asked as we walked up to the house.

"I didn't really get much of a choice, now did I?" I asked sarcastically.

I was the last in the door and I closed it behind me. The guys fixed up their injuries and I kinda just stood there.

"You wanna put something on your face there?" Steve asked pointing to the big cut on my cheek.

"I want to go home." I mumbled.

"Home? I thought you were living with that Soc kid?" Two-Bit asked.

"How did you-" I stopped. Word gets around, I guess. No wonder he knows.

"Well, I guess you're stuck here." Ponyboy says. "Otherwise it seems like you'll be wandering around all night."

"Ok, you know what?" I yelled. "I get it! I made a mistake. If I could go back in time I'd fix it!"

"Go back to before the rumble? Or before you became friends with the Socs?"

"Oh, you have no idea how far I'd go back..." I whispered. I couldn't help but glare at Dallas.

He rolled his eyes and Ponyboy raised an eyebrow.

"Alright, I'm heading home. I'll see y'all tomorrow." Steve said.

"Yeah, I'm gonna go too. See ya." Two-Bit followed.

Johnny and Dallas said goodbye next and left. Leaving me and the Curtis'.

"So can I go now?" I asked rudely.

"Nope. But you know where the pillows and blankets are. The couch is free." Ponyboy said before walking back to his room.

I rolled my eyes as Sodapop and Darrel followed.

Once all the lights were off and the noise died down, I went to the bathroom. I silently cried.

I couldn't take it anymore.

Why did he want to help me so bad?

I didn't understand.

I looked at my face and put a bandage over it. He cut me good. I wrapped my knuckles and re-wrapped the tape around my toes.

I silently went back to the couch and fell asleep as soon as I touched the pillow.

I woke up with my hair covering my face and a vague memory of what happened last night.

I looked up and rubbed my eyes before I realized the sun was already risen.

"Finally." Someone said.

I heard the remote click and I looked over.

"Huh?" I mumbled.

"You've been asleep all morning. It's about time." Dallas said.

I looked at the clock. "Jesus..." I looked around. "Why are you here?"

He groaned. "Steve and Soda had to work, Ponyboy had a cross country thing which Darry took him to and Johnny promised Two-Bit he'd take him to the waffle place downtown. I had no prior commitments; so, Ponyboy put me in charge of watching you."

I sat up and stretched. "Yeah, I don't need a babysitter." I said. I stood up and grabbed my jacket as I made my way towards the door.

I was about to open it, but Dallas stepped in front of me. "No can do. He made me promise I'd watch you."

"I'm almost an adult. I can do what I want." I said crossing my arms. "Now I'd suggest you move, 'cause I'm getting outta here."

"I guess we'll see." He said. He gave me a cocky grin and waited for me to sit back down.

I rolled my eyes and sat back down. I guess if I wanna get outta here I've gotta get him entranced in the TV again.