steps back

Tessa's POV

We made it to Bucks and I walked right upstairs. Nothing has changed about this place. Same old... well, everything.

"I think I moved all your stuff to the back of the closet down the hall." Dallas said pointing.

"Ok." I replied before walking towards it.

I made my way to the back of the hallway to the storage closet. I opened the door and my stuff was in the corner.

I grabbed the bag of stuff and threw it over my shoulder.

"Find it?" Dallas asked.

"Yep. Thanks." I said with a grin.

"Where ya heading now?" He asked as I made my way back towards the stairs.

"Umm... I'm not one hundred percent sure. But I-I'll figure it out." I said quickly, as I was eager to leave.

"Do you wanna stay here the night? I can sleep on the couch in the back room after everyone leaves."

"I couldn't ask that of you."

"You aren't asking. I'm offering."

I rolled my eyes playfully. "I'll be fine. But thanks."

"What, you think I'm gonna let you wander around the streets all night? Especially at a time like this? Not a good idea, if you ask me."

"Since when have I made a good decision?" I asked. He grinned. "I'll be fine. Thanks, but no thanks. Worse case scenario, I'll head over to Daniel's. He'll let me stay there."

I quickly realized my mistake.

"So it's just me?" He asked.

"Well, no. But I mean, you don't have to sleep on a couch in a bar. I would just take his couch for the night." I started stuttering and realize I was making no sense.

"No, I get it. Whatever." He said putting his hands in his pockets.

"Uhh... you know, you know what? I'll stay here. Fine. I'm cool with sleeping in a real bed anyway."

He grinned. Dammit, he knew exactly what he was doing.

"Good night, Tessa."

He walked down the stairs and I couldn't hold back my grin.

I walked in the door and threw my bag to the ground. I stretched out and changed my clothes.

But there was just one thing I had to do before I went to bed.

I kinda felt bad doing it, but I had to know.

I checked under the bed first. Then I looked under the pillows and in the bed sheets. I looked in the dresser and in every corner of the room.

I didn't see anything.

Does this mean he's done?

He didn't know I was coming.

He didn't have time to hide anything.

I hoped he was done. Maybe breaking up with him was for the better if he quit doing drugs.

I always thought that staying together would keep him outta it, but maybe it's the other way around.

It pains me to say it or even think it, but maybe Dallas really was better off without me. Or maybe Sylvia had some kinda effect on him.

But it didn't matter anymore. Especially not tonight. Instead of overthinking I just went to bed.

I woke up when the sun rose and I stretched my arms out. I changed my clothes and went downstairs.

As I did, Dallas walked out of the back room in nothing but but a pair of jeans.

"Morning, doll..." He mumbled.

"Wow. You look like you slept well." I said with a tint of sarcasm.

"Mhmm. Yeah. Very funny. But it was fine. Just not enough of it."

"I'll ask Ponyboy if I can stay at his place tonight. But I'm gonna have to start looking for a place of my own. I've been saving up in cash, but it's not nearly enough."

"It's alright. Stay up there whenever you want. No sweat off my back."

I rolled my eyes playfully. "Well, I do gotta talk to Ponyboy anyway. I'll see ya around?"

"I'll be here."

I walked out of Bucks and into the nice breezy air with sun rays laying down on me.

I made my way to Ponyboy's and opened the door. "Hey." I said looking around.

"Hi, Tess. Everybody just left." He said looking up from his book.

"Perfect, I came to talk to you."

"Oh. Then take a seat." He said laying the book down.

"Alright. I just need you to give me a neutral opinion. I don't want what you think, per se, but just a general thought. And I feel like you're the only person who would be able to do it..."

"I gotcha. Lay it on me."

"So... I wanna move back to New York."

He raised an eyebrow. "You sure that's a good idea?"

"Just wait for me to finish."

"Fine. Sorry."

"So I wanna move back, but I don't know if it's the right idea. I mean, I've ruined everything here. I lost every friend I've had, my boyfriend, and any form of happiness. I don't have anywhere to stay and I can't make any money at a real job. I'm only seventeen. My mom's gotta let me back or else she gets in trouble. If she wants to take that chance with the cops, I can always track down my sister and see if she has any solutions, although I doubt she will."

I took a breath. "But I just can't stay here. I mean, ever since I got here, I've been miserable. Dallas changed, everything happened so quickly, and I've gotten more injuries in a couple years here than I have in my entire life. I take one step forward and I feel like I go four steps back. I feel like my life's just turned to hell. So... whaddya think?"

He thought for a moment. "Well, from a neutral opinion, I think you should go back to New York. I'm not encouraging running away from your problems, but it seems like the better option for you. I mean, everyone down here is always looking for a fight and if that's what you're avoiding, yeah go back up north. I've never been to New York; so, I can't say much about it. But if you like it then it's what makes you happy."

He paused and thought about what to say next. "I found out more as time went on how Dallas treated you during your relationship and I feel awful. So if going back to New York would make you happy, go for it."

Wow. Gonna be honest, that's not the response I was expecting.