Chapter 15: Not Alone Anymore

She knew.

Carlisle had never been so torn in all his life. Not even when he first became a vampire did he feel this conflicted.

Kill her? That was the last thing that his heart wanted. But the things his body wanted to do to her would probably kill her... which is why he swore to himself that he wouldn't even so much as kiss her lips until she had become a vampire.

One taste would certainly drive him over the edge. God help the poor man...

"We don't feed on humans." he said gently. "We aren't monsters."

She stared at him for a long moment. "How can I believe you?" "You would be able to tell. Human blood makes our eyes red. Animal blood, well-" he trailed off, pointing to his eyes with a grin. His attempt to lighten the mood seemed to work. Her whole body seemed to ease a little.

"The only reason I am able to believe you is because..." she hesitated. "Because what, Love?"

It would not be the last time he used THAT nickname with her... 

She forced away the blush that tinted her cheeks, allowing her mind to settle on more pressing matters. More pressing than this stupidly handsome doctor sitting on the edge of her bed with his stupidly attractive accent calling her this stupidly arousing nickname... 

Well, heck, this was going to be more difficult than she thought.

"Because after I heard Waylon Forge's scream, I saw three red-eyed vampires out on my lawn." she finished. 

Carlisle's eyes grew suddenly dark. "What? Did they see you? Did they know you were here? Did any of them catch your scent?!"

"One of them thought they did, but they didn't. Murdock and I were inside, so they didn't see me." She said, hurriedly, trying to calm him down. His voice was darker and more husky, almost angry.

"You aren't safe here. If they decide to come back, you will end up like Forge. I insist you come back with me to my home. My family and I will protect you."

Vale sighed. "Hmm, let me think. Three vampires or seven?" she smiled slightly.

"None of us will hurt you. Jasper is the newest to the diet, and still struggles with it sometimes, but he has already said that the scent of your blood doesn't affect him the way others do." 

"What? Why is that?" 

"Because you are my mate. His mother."  he wanted to say.

"We have a theory, but we will discuss that later." he said instead. "You need to pack quickly."

____________________________________

The drive to his house was quiet. The rain outside had turned into a storm. Flashes of lightning light up the sky, causing Vale to jump, startled. Her hand gripped the armrest, watching the lights outside.

Carlisle pried her fingers off the armrest and took her hand in his firmly, praying that she wouldn't pull away.

She didn't.

Her fingers intertwined with his, and Carlisle inhaled sharply, positive that his grip on the steering wheel would leave dents.

For the first time in her life, she felt like she had found someone who would - and could - keep her safe. 

She didn't have to be alone anymore.