Chapter 20: The Lord and the Lady

Coming home that day was like the beginning of a dream for Carlisle. He hadn't slept in years, and he had almost forgotten what it was like: that silver lining on the edge of something wonderful.

The house smelled of her as soon as he opened the door. The scent filled him with a sense of pride. His heart belonged to none other, and she was in his home...

She was sitting on the couch in the living room reading a book, and he approached from behind her. "How was your day Love?" he said gently. 

He had intended to peck her on the cheek, but she turned her head at that exact moment - 

And his lips brushed hers.

She started slightly, her heartbeat shooting up, and she smiled softly on seeing Carlisle's frozen body. She grinned and pecked his lips again. "Mine was very informative. What about you?" 

Carlisle was still stunned. Apparently, so was the Lord.  His mouth hung agape as his mind processed what just happened. God, he wanted more so badly now...

She chuckled. "I think you deserve a kiss for all the kindness you keep showering on me."

"If that's the reward for kindness, I should make a note to be kind to you more often." he said, trying to recover himself. The Lord was growling with hunger.

"I've been trying to learn everything I can about vampires, since, I'm afraid to say, I'm rather underinformed on the subject." she showed him the old book.

"That's a good place to start." He said, trying to sound cool and collected. Stalking the prey. It knows nothing.

"I would like to get to know you all better." She continued. "Particularly you." Her large eyes looked up into his.

"I must admit," he paused, "I feel the same way..." his eyes were slowly darkening as he towered over her. Her throat so obediently bared for him...

He was in front of her now, sitting on the edge of the coffee table, his elbows resting on his knees, his hands clasped tightly together. She saw this, and took both his icy hands in her warm ones. "Alice told me." she said, her voice almost a whisper. 

Carlisle's eyes widened as he searched her face. The Lord froze in it's tracks.

"Alice told me about my being your mate."

Silence. Carlisle was still trying to gauge what her mind was thinking.

Her eyes dropped, examining the details of the carpet as she searched for words. "I don't know how much you know about me. I really don't like talking about myself." she managed. "It's not a very nice story... Edward might know something about it, being a mind reader and all, but..." she took a slow deep breath, "If we are going to... start a relationship... I want to be completely open and honest with you."

Carlisle's undead heart soared.

She wanted to be with him! She wanted to be his mate! 

The Lord was reeling with excitement at the thought of a Lady.

"Vale," he said slowly, "I swear, I will never hurt you. I can't describe the things that you... do to me..." his voice darkened slightly, "your scent alone... drives me crazy... " his expert fingers could feel the pulse from her wrists strain. His gaze dragged up her form. Her legs. Her thighs. Her hips. The slight exposure of her front, which only made him want to rip it from her body completely. Her exposed throat. Her soft pink lips he wanted to kiss until they were swollen - the lips he wanted to draw his name from ever      so     slowly.... 

His eyes drowned themselves into hers. Her pupils were dilated - only a small ring of earth tone color could be seen. She liked him like this...

"All I ask is that you do not push me... I don't think I can control my... darker side... this... this "Lord" that dwells inside me... it wants you so badly..."

Her eyes flicked to his lips. Her breathing was getting deeper. Carlisle could have sworn her voice dropped an octave. "What's stopping you?" she asked.

There was a moments pause. Then, without warning, Carlisle seized her by the forearms and shoved her on her back on the sofa with vampiric speed. His lips hovered over hers, his eyes completely black by now, her scent overwhelming his senses.

"I will hurt you. I swear, if you tempt me, I won't be able to resist the temptation of burying my fangs into that pretty throat of yours."  His lips hovered over her throat.

She froze, then smiled slightly, "So do you want to kill me or do you want to fuck me?" she teased, her voice still low.

Carlisle didn't move for a moment. Then, he started laughing. He released his grip on her, collapsing into the plush fabric by her face as he laughed. His cold body covered hers as it shook with laughter. "Oh, Darling, I'm sorry," he began, his eyes returning to their bright golden color, "I haven't quite thought of it that way before." He felt her arms wrap around him soothingly, her hands just toying with the ends of his hair. 

The Lord had finally found A Lady...