Chapter 23: Never Go Back

The heart monitor was going off like crazy. Vale was completely disoriented as to where she was. The voices of the hospital staff around her were all a haze of noises. She thrashed, pulling away from the people around her. Her hand went straight to the I.V. in her arm, yanking it out. The beeping also stopped. Her fear of medical equipment was kicking in. 

"GET AWAY FROM ME!" She growled, angry and terrified. She became aware of a slow-burning pain in her shoulder. She tried to get up, pushing against the limbs that were trying to get her back down. She lurched over the side of the medical bed.

"No, no, no, NO! I am NOT LETTING THIS HAPPEN AGAIN! Just get the HELL AWAY FROM ME!" She screeched. The people in the room backed off slowly, giving her some space.

She crouched in a far corner, breathing hard and growling; like a tiger trapped. Her vision was still blurry, but her mind started analyzing.

"Five people, four in white, one in dark blue. Outnumbered. Get out. Door is behind them. Wait for the one in blue to step aside just so..."

She bolted.

She didn't register the sound of Charlie's voice behind her calling her to come back.

________________________________________

Barefoot through the streets she ran to the edge of the woods. She didn't know where exactly she was going, she just knew that she needed to run.

She felt like she did 5 years ago, when she fled from Chance Gilbert when she was 18, before vampires were even a part of her world.

Running, running, running. Don't let them catch you. Never go back to that hellhole.

The pain in her shoulder burned more aggressively, but she ignored it, tearing through the rough terrain. Her breath became jagged, and her eyesight even more darkened. Her steps started to slow and she stumbled along. 

The day was waning toward evening.

She could hear the sound of rushing water, a soft bubbling stream close by. She collapsed into the water, dragging herself to the other side. It wasn't very deep, but in her position, she could still easily drown. She gripped hold of a rock on the bank, feeling the cold water rushing over her body, giving her the sensation of being cleansed.

She let herself relax into the feeling, resting her head on the stone. Her eyes closed. The last thing she felt before darkness overwhelmed her was a sense of freedom.

______________________________________

Alice shot up, her eyes wide with fright. She couldn't see her mother's future anymore.

(Recommended song: Sparks by Coldplay)