Chapter 29: "Always"

Vale's heart nearly stopped when she caught a glimpse of the three red-eyed vampire. The ones who murdered Forge. "It's them." She breathed. She had learned how to manage her voice so that only a vampire standing very close could hear her. Carlisle squeezed her hand tighter. Jasper took a stance close by, probably hoping to help mask her scent.

The dark-skinned one spoke first. "I believe his belongs to you." He held up the ball, then tossed it to Carlisle, who caught it in the most goddamn casual way possible. "Hot." Vale said lowly. Carlisle smirked. "Thank you." It was questionable as to whether or not he was speaking to the vampire or to her. "I'm Laurent. This is Victoria and James." He gestured to the other two. James was clearly hearing something. His eyes were narrowed in Carlisle's direction. 

"I'm Carlisle. This is my family." He gestured to the rest. "I'm afraid your hunting activities have caused something of a mess for us." "Our apologies. We didn't know this territory had been claimed." Vale guessed that "It's a free country" wasn't a common response among vampires. "Yes, well, we maintain a permanent residence nearby." Vale's mind was already analyzing the situation. She wondered if telling Laurent that they lived nearby was a good idea, but it was too late now. Her eyes wandered to just behind her to her left. Edward was tense, trying to cover Bella's scent. Easy Edward. His eyes flicked to her for just a split second, then went back to James.

"Well, we won't be a problem anymore. We were just passing through." Laurent was saying. Vale sarcastically wondered if that meant "Your humans were disgusting anyway." and smiled to herself. Victoria spoke up. "The humans were tracking us. We led them East. You should be safe." So that's why Forge and I lost their trail. Vale didn't like the attitude behind her voice. "Excellent." Carlisle said politely. There was a moment's pause. "So," Laurent sounded friendly, "could you use three more players?" Vale realized that in order to protect everyone involved, the best thing to do was to say yes and get herself and Bella out of there. She rubbed small reassuring circles on Carlisle's wrist. He seemed to get the message.

"Sure, why not? A few of us were just leaving. You can take their place. We'll bat first." he tossed the ball back and Victoria caught it. "I'm the one with the wicked curveball." she smirked. "Oh, well, I think we can handle that." Jasper sassed, releasing the tension. There was a chorus of "Ohhhs" before they all turned away to get into position. Carlisle turned to Vale. His eyes were dark, but he was clearly controlling himself. "Get home quickly. Wait for me." "Always." She whispered. 

Then the wind blew.

James snapped around. "You brought snacks..." 

Both human girls were thrust behind a line of hissing and growling Cullens, lined up like an army of vampire soldiers. Vale yanked Bella behind her instinctively, her hand going to where her weapon usually was. Dammit. Wish I would have brought it today. Bullets were of no use here anyway. "Humans?" Laurent asked. "They are with us." Carlisle responded firmly. "I think its best you leave." James' eyes left Bella and landed on Vale for the first time. He was practically drooling. "Do you play with your snacks before you eat them?" he wondered aloud. "This one happens to be my MATE." Carlisle hissed savagely. This tactic only made James' look even more evil. "I'll take that as a yes, then." he chuckled darkly. Carlisle was shaking with rage. 

"I prefer men with a taste for bunnies." Vale said snidely. James bared his teeth.

"I can see the game is over. We will leave now." Laurent complies. He and Victoria turn to go, and James stays just a moment longer, allowing his hungry eyes to drag over Vale once more before sending Carlisle and Edward a glare. Laurent called him away. Carlisle gripped Vale's arm. "We need to get you to safety." He was about to thrust her into the Jeep with Bella. "Wait, hold on. What's going on?" "James is a tracker," Edward explained "The hunt is his obsession. I read his mind. He wants Bella because of her scent," he paused, looking at Carlisle, "And he wants mom for his own purposes..." Carlisle's arm shot out and gripped his son's arm. "What?" He growled. Edward sighed, "He... thinks that getting a Coven Leader's mate is by far the most enticing thrill of a hunt that he has had in a long time." 

Vale swore under her breath. The four were silent for a moment, thinking hard. "Ok. Listen to me." Vale commanded with authority in her voice. "Get Bella to safety. Take Alice with you and tell her to convince Charlie to let Bella stay in Seattle for the weekend. Girl shopping or whatever. Go!" Edward didn't need to be told twice. He floored the gas.

"What about you?" Carlisle demanded. "James will think that I am going to be with you. The best place for me is somewhere he won't look. I'll go back to my place." "NO." Carlisle's eyes were black and he stared into her determined orbs. She turned to face him fully. "It's the best chance we have." She whispered to him. "Then one of us will go with you." "No, they will know for a fact that I am there." Carlisle was tense, and she could feel it. He didn't like this at all. She took his hands in hers. "I will always come back to you." She said softly. Carlisle rested his forehead on hers. "I belong to you, my Darling Carlisle. And I always will."

_______________________________________

James knew that catching the little raven-haired girl would be easy. She wasn't the problem. Catching a Coven Leader's mate... GOD that sounded fun. 

She had smelled familiar. It took a while for him to place it, but he soon realized that he had smelled that same heavenly scent in front of that quaint little house just a mile or so from the boathouse where he had fed on that older guy.

So of course the first place he went to was that little house. 

He couldn't find much at first. She obviously hadn't been there in a while. Searching through a drawer, he found a large binder with a lot of newspaper clippings.

Girl Thought Lost Winds Up In Absaroka

15-Year Cold Case Reopened?

Vale Rockford, Thought Dead, Found Alive

Now this was interesting...

Recommended Song: If I Killed Someone for You by Alec Benjamin