Chelsea XVI

I am currently in an online meeting for my EFL class and I can't help but feel weird. It's been a few days since the fire at Uni and Jordyn is acting weird. She doesn't smile as much and I have to ask for affection. I'm the one who always initiates conversations and she isn't her usual kind self. I wonder if it's the new job. She's getting too stressed with it all.

Today's one of the weird days where her shift ends late morning, early afternoon, depends if there's some fire she needs to tend to. Fire gets more attention than me.

She came home halfway through my online class. I smiled at her, she ignored me and went straight to her room. Another hour and I'm gonna go apeshit on her.

"Chelsea? Is everything alright?" the Professor asked.

I turn my mic on for a quick, "Yeah, all good, Professor." and thankfully she left it there. She gives us our assignments and we crack on.

After class, I shut my laptop down with a slam. I take a deep breath, and calmly stormed my way to the bedroom. I knocked three rapid knocks. She opened the door, with red eyes.

"You don't need to knock, you live here too." she said after sniffing her tears back.

"What's the matter? You've been weird lately." I say, rearing all my anger back into it's cage to be a compassionate girlfriend.

"Nothing, I'm fine." she said, wiping a stray tear.

"Jordyn, don't lie to me." I say, pulling her to the couch. I sit us down and place a loving hand on her arm.

"It's just- I-" she stuttered before sobbing again. I pulled her into me and let her cry into my chest. I rub her back, letting her know I'm there.

"I'm here, okay?" I coo. She pulled back and wiped her tears away.

"I got your shirt wet." she says between sniffs.

"It's fine. That's the least of my worries. Do you want to tell me?"

She nodded.

"When you're ready, I'm here." I reassure.

"I haven't eaten since my shift started. I'm so hungry that everything hurts and I can't believe I'm letting it happen."

"Letting what happen? And I'll make you some lunch now. Just tell me what you're letting happen."

"My colleague, Mike Turner, he keeps touching my food before I go to eat. And he calls me fatty. Always tells me how I'm filling out and I believe him, Chelsea!" she starts sobbing again. It hurts to see her like this, but at the same time, I'm proud that she's telling me all of it. Not many people can do that.

"I'm gonna make you lunch, and you are going to eat it. Then, tomorrow, I'm coming to work with you." I order.

"What? You can't. You have school!"

"It's all online so I can ask the teacher to email me the stuff I missed, and it'll only be for a few minutes. I'm gonna sort out this Turner dude. This ends tomorrow." I state. Jordyn's knows better than to argue, instead she nervously kissed my head, like a child does when she's in trouble. I think this issue has helped us take a step further in our relationship. Jordyn ran into a literal burning building for me and I am going to help her with work issues because she struggles. There a new sense of respect and dependence between us.

I make food for the both of us and as we it down to eat, it finally clicks in my head.

"Is that why you always stop eating when someone looks at you?" I ask. My question took Jordyn by surprise but I see as she thinks about it, she come to a realisation as well.

"Yeah, I guess so."

We both nodded thoughtfully.

"You need to call your mom, by the way. You didn't do it the day you wrote it on your hand." Jordyn reminds me.

"Yeah, I do need to call her. How did you know I didn't?"

"You always have a different look in your eyes after you talk to her. Your eyes resemble a little kid's. Also, you normally tell me. I hadn't noticed either things." she explains. Sometimes I forget how observant she is.

"You're quite the woman, Jordyn." I say as I pull my phone out. I dial my mom's number and it rings. She picks up almost immediately.

"Chelsea? Is everything alright? How are you?" she asks.

"I'm fine mom. I was just called to see how you were. You know, with the situation with dad and all."

"I'm... Coping. Your sister and I are staying with your Auntie Mary. She's really helping me as well."

"I'm glad to hear that. How's The lioness and her cub?" I laugh.

"They're fine. I'll get Amber to call you later. How's Jordyn?"

"She's going through a tough time but she's strong. She'll pull through." I say, rubbing her back.

"Aww. Send my wishes. I'm glad you're okay."

"I'm glad you're okay too, mom."

"I'm going to go now. Your auntie Mary is taking me shopping and out to dinner. I love you."

"I love you too. Have fun."

And with that we hung up. That conversation made me feel at ease. I felt so tense, with everything that has been going on, you'd understand why. Mom just has a way to diffuse the tension.

"All okay?" Jordyn asked, nearly finishing her lunch. I smiled at that.

"Yeah. Amber will probably call me later, so if you wanna speak to Lucy, you can."

"Okay. What do you want to do?"

"Can we go to your parents' house?" I suggest.

"Sure, I just need to get dressed." Jordyn said, gesturing to her pajamas.

"Okay, I'll get my shoes on."

We both do what we said we would and left Jordyn's apartment.

"Any reason why you wanted to come here?" Jordyn asked, pulling into the driveway. It was about 3:30pm now.

"I like the busy and hyper atmosphere. Your sisters are just so fun to watch." I chuckle to myself, picturing the triplets play fighting each other.

"Fair enough. It is fun to watch Hayley get trampled by the other two." Jordyn laughed.

We both get and are greeted by Kate and Tina. This time, I got embraced in hugs and kisses as well. But I wasn't made a fuss of like Jordyn. These people make me feel at home. They're my family now. Even in the short time I've known them, they care so much about me already. And I care about them.

What a strange bunch.