Pitter patter - Part 1 - Sherlock x Reader.

I felt the need to write this and its dedicated to julzrulz4ever. This part is all John and Mary, but the next part will have Sherlock. Hope you all enjoy.

John kissed Mary on the side of the head, as he slowly got up from the sofa. The sound of a knock at the front door taking them both aback, what with the lateness of the hour. But given that the knock sounded strangely urgent, the doctor thought that he better go and see who it was. His brows furrowing, as he opened the door. His visitor drenched because of the rain. The look on her face, one that he had never seen before.

"(Y/n)............what............is everything ok? Are you ok? Come in. Your wet through. Is Sherlock, ok?" John anxiously enquired, as he pulled her into the home and took the sodden coat from her shoulders. Mary turning off the TV as her husband brought their friend into the living room.

"I............I'm sorry for disturbing you two, I know its late. And Sherlock is fine. Or he was when I left him a little while ago. Admittedly he was doing one of his experiments and could possibly have blown the whole of Barker Street up by now. But...............its just that I..........I didn't know who else to turn to. And well, as you know Sherlock better than most................."

"(Y/n). What is it? You're making us worry." Mary said, as she got to her feet and took (Y/n)'s hands in hers.

She and John had met (Y/n) some time ago. A detective newly assigned to New Scotland Yard that had become the one to deal with Sherlock when Greg had had his fill of the consulting detective. She was smart, funny, and was more than capable of not only giving Sherlock a run for his money, but also Mycroft. A fact that seemed to intrigue both of the Holmes boys. Yet John and Mary had never realised how much Sherlock had been intrigued, until the younger Holmes had one day stated that (Y/n) was moving into John's old room. That she would be helping him with things as John now found himself in other ways preoccupied. The Watson's more than happy to see that the female detective was having quite the most wonderful effect on Sherlock. That he seemed, well...............happy. So, to have (Y/n) at their home, at such an hour, appearing as she did, was more than a little concerning.

"I'm sorry, Mary. John. I don't mean to worry you. I just didn't know what else to do. Who else to turn to.................."

"(Y/n), what........................?"

"I'm late, Mary. Not just by a day or two, but by a week or two..............." (Y/n) blurted out. The breath catching in the throats of both of the Watson's, as they looked at her.

"You mean...................?"

"I...........I don't know................" (Y/n) replied, as she pulled a small box from her back pocket and showed her two friends the pregnancy test kit.

"I couldn't do this at Baker Street. And I am surprised that Sherlock hasn't noticed anything yet. Though he is a little caught up in this latest case. But when he's not, I know that he will see it on my face, and I don't know how to tell him. I don't know how he will react................"

"You mean....................?" John asked again. The shock and disbelief evident in his voice.

"Yeah. When he told you that I was moving into your old room, he wasn't exactly being truthful. He was being uncharacteristically diplomatic. I did move into a room, but it wasn't yours. It........it was Sherlocks. We...........we've been together for a while now. We've been.........together.........but I didn't think anything of it to begin with, as I was told a long time ago that I couldn't have children. But now............and if this test is positive, I don't know what he will do. What he will say. Will he throw me out? I don't know if I'm ready for this myself, never mind telling Sherlock that he could be...........that he could be................" (Y/n) explained. Unable to continue, as tears began to roll down her cheeks. Mary taking her in her arms and trying to comfort her. The two Watson's looking at one another.

Admittedly they had often joked about it. Joked about what was really going on at Baker Street after (Y/n) had moved in. About what was making Sherlock appear so happy. About how perfect she would be for the consulting detective seeing that she could give as good as she got and didn't just take Sherlock's usual crap. But they never really thought that it could be true. That there was actually something going on between the pair. But it would appear that they were wrong. And Sherlock had actually discovered what it was like to be human.

"Hey, hey. Its ok................" Mary said softly, as she continued to try and quiet her friend. Looking to her husband for support.

"(Y/n). I know that this is a lot to take in. But if you are pregnant, I don't want you getting so upset. Its not good for you or the baby. And Sherlock may be many things, but he would never throw you out of your home because you are pregnant with his child.................." John said, as he joined the two women. (Y/n) removing her head from Mary's shoulder and giving him a teary smile.

"You...........you think............?"

"Of course, and John is right, we need you to calm down. Now, why don't I take you upstairs and you can do this little test. If its negative, its negative. If its positive, well..............we will go from there." Mary agreed, as she rubbed (Y/n)'s arm. The detective sniffing back her tears and nodding slowly. Allowing Mary to lead her by the arm out of the room and up the stairs to the bathroom. Leaving John to drop onto the sofa. Not sure that he himself had quite taken in all the information that (Y/n) had just given them. Not sure that if the test did turn out to be positive, how Sherlock would react to the information. But he was sure of one thing, that he and Mary would be there for (Y/n) every step of the way.