The Knave of hearts - Part 14 - Sherlock x John x Reader

Wishing everyone a very happy New Year. And I would like to thank you all for not only reading; but also following, voting and commenting. I really do appreciate it so much.

(Y/n) slowly began to wake. She had not wanted the sedative that the doctor had given her; but her father's concern had made her agree. Her eyes quickly closing as the sleeping draft, took its affect; the lady just thankful that she had not dreamt of the horror that she had seen. It was true that she didn't like Caine; he was a vile creature. A man that was not only a liar and a thief, but one that would force his attentions on a woman. A man that had used her father's willingness to help old soldiers, to his benefit. But, what she had seen.............did even Caine deserve that? She would have preferred it that her father had listened to her and sent him away. That his other activities, had brough him to the attention of the local constabulary, and he been arrested and sent to gaol. Yet now.......now she didn't have to worry about that. But being killed, and in such a way...........

"My lady..................." A smooth, calm voice said quietly. (Y/n) slowly opening her eyes to see one of her father's guests, looking down at her. His deep eyes drawing her in for a moment. Feeling as though she were adrift at sea, and those eyes were the calm, in the midst of a tempest. (Y/n) unable to say anything, as Sherlock just looked at her.

The last things she could remember was the doctor and her father; it was Lucy coming to watch over her. So, to find Sherlock instead..........But she wasn't about to complain. Waking up to a handsome man, though be it one that looked a little tired; was better than waking up to a maid.

"Mister..........Mister Holmes............What are you doing here............?" She asked, as she pushed herself into a seated position. It all a little difficult, seeing as she was in the same clothes that she had worn to dinner the night before. The lady hoping that not only did she not look too much like a mess; but also, that the consulting detective might know why such a fate had befallen Caine.

Sherlock thought for a moment. He could cut to the chase and merely reply with the unvarnished truth, as he would with everyone else. He could tell her that he was there, because Caine had been killed by the man that had held her for ransom, for the reason, that he himself wanted her back. Because Lord Royston's head of security had said something he shouldn't, about her. He could tell her that the killer was undoubtedly still in the vicinity; that he may even kill again, if someone were to get to close to her. He could tell her that he believed that the man would be coming for her on the night of the masquerade ball. Or, he could tell her another truth; he could tell her that he didn't trust some maid watching over her. And given that he had detected the killer as having been in the room, it would appear to have been the correct decision. He could tell her, that he only trusted himself to watch over her; that he had no desire to let anyone else be with her. No desire to let anyone else close to her; but that would mean that he had opened himself up to emotions.........feelings. So..............

"I found your maid asleep. I dismissed her. You were supposed to be being watched.................." Sherlock simply stated, before getting to his feet; discretely trying to stretch out his aching muscles, after several hours in a not all to comfortable chair. The lady about to say something, until the door of the room flew open and in rushed Bess. The daughter of the blacksmith throwing herself onto the bed and engulfing (Y/n) in her arms.

"Oh, (Y/n). Your father sent the carriage for me, and Doctor Watson explained what happened last night. I can't believe it.......are you all right...........?" Bess asked, as she reluctantly let her friend go. (Y/n) smiling at the doctor, as he made his way into the room, before pushing the hair behind the obviously quickly dressed Bess' ear.

"I.........I'm...........I'm fine. Doctor Watson gave me something to help me sleep, and Mister Holmes has been watching over me. I was about to ask him if he knew who might have done such a thing to Caine, and why, when you came in............." The lady explained, as she and Bess turned their attention to the consulting detective.

"I........If you will excuse me, I have things to do........." Sherlock simply stated, as he made his way to the door.

"Come, Watson............" He continued. John smiling at the two women; telling (Y/n) that he would return to check on her, once Bess had helped her dress for the day, before he quickly followed after his friend.

                                                         >>--------------------------------<<

"Sherlock...........!" John called out, as he walked quickly to catch up with the younger Holmes.

"Shouldn't we tell Lord Royston.......Lady (Y/n), of your beliefs............?" The doctor continued, almost barreling into Sherlock as he stopped, abruptly.

"If I inform Lord Royston that the man that not only kidnapped his daughter, but also killed Caine last night, will be attending the masquerade ball in hopes that he can take the lady again; he will cancel the ball. I cannot have that. My telegram to Scotland Yard will have spurred even Lestrade into action, and I should imagine that he and a number of his men are already on their way here. Lord Royston is a well known and politically well connected man; he, the police commissioner, and chief constable are all members of the same club, so they will want to do all they can to assist. This man is dangerous, one of the most dangerous I have ever come across; and he needs to be stopped. He has already been able to get away with far too much. I cannot let him slip through the fingers of the law, yet again........." Sherlock replied, before he turned and continued on his way.

"You mean you know who this Knave of Hearts, really is............?" John called after the consulting detective.

"I do.........his name is Moriarty..............Professor James Moriarty..............." Sherlock called back. The consulting detective opening the door to his room and waiting for John to join him. The doctor doing just that, having more than one question about who this Professor Moriarty, that he wanted answered.