Below the surface - Part 1 - Greg x Reader

Greg stood on the embankment of the river Thames, watching as the members of the Underwater and Confined Space Search Team, made their way into the dark, dirty water of the famous waterway. The Yard had received a tip that they would find something of interest not far from Tower Bridge. The informant, when pushed, telling them that a body had been deposited in the depths. A body that had something to do with an ongoing case that Greg had been involved in for some time. But given that the words 'not far from Tower Bridge' didn't help much given the breadth and depth of the river near the Victorian bridge, the detective inspector doubted that even the Mets highly qualified team would come up with anything. Yet he knew that they had to try. Because if there really was a body down there, that meant that there could be a family that was looking for the person, and the right thing to do would be to try and help bring them some closure.

The whole scene had of course caused some commotion in the capital. Locals, as well as tourists and the media watching as the fully kitted out police divers had sunk below the water. Greg finding himself pacing the embankment, biting at his bottom lip as the time passed. The detective sure that they had been down there for hours when in fact it had only been a few minutes, and this could last all day. But in truth, it wasn't that all this concern was for a possible body, it was more for the woman that was in charge of the dive team.

(Y/n) was the lead officer of the team, and Greg had met her at a conference that he had been forced to attend, despite how much he tried to avoid it. But when he had set eyes on her, he had been glad that he hadn't managed to talk anyone else into going.

Even from across the room, he had noticed her. She had the brightest smile, the most infectious laugh, and the detective inspector had found himself drawn in like a moth to a flame. Greg suddenly in front of her, holding out his hand to introduce himself. The detective surprised when he found out that not only did she work for the Met, but that she had been at the Yard for a week, only the month before, Greg having no idea how he could have missed her. 

Since then, he and (Y/n) had become better acquainted. Even going on a couple of dates here and there. Sherlock taking great delight in noting one day that Greg, or should that be Grant according to the younger Holmes, that there was something different about him. The consulting detective musing for a moment before declaring that it was due to a woman, and for all their sakes, he hoped that she was better than the detective inspector's ex-wife. But despite Sherlock declaring such for everyone to hear, Greg had to admit that he was right. There had been a change in him, he was, to put no too fine a point on it...........happy. Happier than he had been in a very long time. (Y/n) had this amazing knack of being able to make him smile, to make him laugh even after the worst of day. He could tell her anything that he wanted, and he knew that she would understand. He knew that she would listen, that she would give him her honest opinion. That she would give him the best advice. And on this current case, he had needed some advice. It all being a little strange if you were to ask him. Usually, he would say that after all his years on the force, nothing much was weird to him anymore, the detective believing that he had seem more or less everything, but this job had had its fair amount of strange. So, when he had been advised of the tip, his first thought had been of (Y/n) and her team. Greg making the call to have the divers meet him by the banks of the river.

Up until the moment (Y/n) and her guys had arrived on the scene, Greg had never seen her in action. But after letting the team know about the information that had been received, he couldn't help but smile as he watched her command the people under her. It more than obvious to even a layman such as himself, that she knew exactly what she was doing and how she wanted it done. But that didn't mean that he hadn't found himself growing nervous as she had pulled the big air tank onto her back. As she had placed the large, sci-fi looking helmet on her head before disappearing under the murky water. Greg realising more and more as he watched the surface of the river from the bank, that he was actually afraid of losing her. That the emotions, the feelings that had been slowly building under the surface, were now wanting to make themselves known. They now wanted him to tell her that even though it had only been less than a year that they had known one another, that he cared for her more than words could say. And that he hoped that she might feel the same.

"Sir............." A voice suddenly came, alerting the senior detective. Greg turning to see one of (Y/n)'s men make his way over to him.

"Yeah................?"

"The skipper said that they've found something. They are going to need some more equipment sent out, but she thinks we might have your body, sir." The man advised, Greg nodding and making over to where his team stood waiting. The orders going out to push back the crowd and have the crime scene tent placed as close to the bank as possibly so that the scenes of crime officers could get straight to work. The detective inspector knowing that all the feelings, all the words were going to have to wait for a more opportune moment.