⁰¹⁸ "Witch Hunt"

Chapter 18

*Cue suspenseful music*

THE SUN HAD SET. Night time had approached and darkness quickly fell upon the Beach. Aguni stood solemnly in his room, staring outside his window with no expression more or so just at his blank reflection. Kuina was stationed right outside his door keeping an eye out in case the man would leave, her back pressed against a pillar. Chishiyas voice broke through the walk-in talkie, bringing the woman back to her thoughts.

"How are things going over there, Kuina?"

"Alright, I suppose. Aguni is still in his room." She replied then added, "I'm dying of boredom over here."

"Let's go ahead with our plan then." Ignoring her last sentence completely.

Chishiya walked inside Hatter's empty room followed by a curious Koichi who poked and prodded at random things on the tables. "I have no clue if Arisu is smart or stupid." Chishiya asked Kuina through the device.

Koichi raised a brow and shrugged even if the blonde couldn't see him.

"There's no way they'd keep the cards in an ordinary safe." Chishiya spoke to the girl. "Where do you think the real safe is then?" She questioned and the blonde continued to explain.

"I'm not sure, but when Arisu found the fake safe, Aguni who half the time has a good poker face, was glancing towards something else."

Koichi licked his lips and pocketed his hands, going over next to Chishiya and tilting his head at a certain item hanging on the wall. "I think that whatever was in that envelope, isn't a code or some blank letter." He paused, and Koichi had the liberty to finish his sentence.

"But a drawing." Koichi delcared and the pair eyed the deer painting.

They approached the wall, Chishiya carefully placed his hands on the sides and lifted it off gracefully, putting it down and whispering into the walk-in talkie to Kuina.

"Sly assholes." Koichi grinned at the sight of the safe embedded into the wall. It was smart, truly. But nothing got past Chishiya.

"So this is why you sacrificed them?" Kuina asked quietly.

"Yeah, well you gotta give something to get something." Chishiya replied whole heartedly. "They were pawns, that's all. Shit happens."

"You're a bastard, you know that?" Koichi grumbled, making Chishiya roll his eyes.

"—I sure as hell wouldn't want to be your enemy." Kuina admitted lightly.

Koichi leaned against the wall, watching Chishiya with careful eyes as he mumbled a few words to the girl then tapped in the code to the safe. It opened with a click and the pair looked inside to see a brown box.

Pulling it out and opening it, Chishiya examined the cards before taking them all out and pocketing them with a grin. Koichi reached out and shut the safe door.

"Just the Ten of Hearts, yeah?" He trailed off, looking down at the blonde who turned to face him.

"Supposedly. If what they all say will happen then it's all worth the risk in getting these." Holding up the deck of unfinished cards but his response didn't ease any nervousness Koichi had gained in the past few minutes at all.

Chishiya turned around and started walking towards the exit, waiting to hear Koichi's footsteps behind him but stopped when he heard nothing. He stood there quietly until the sound of his shoes hitting the carpet at a slow pace entered his ears.