Chapter 51 - Brave

(songs for this chapter -
Quite Miss Home - JAMES ARTHUR
As I Am - H.E.R
In My Mind - LYN RAPID)

GHOST POV

We lost three of the hostages, a lot less than i was expecting but a lot more than El wanted. She wouldn't let any of us touch the girls bodies, she carried them all herself. Watching her lovingly pick each one of them up and carry them to the transport car, my heart broke for her. I could see how much it hurt her but she didn't cry. Not in front of the other girls, she wanted to be brave for them.

Two are injured but the rest seem okay, just scared and tired. El is with them all now, crowded around the back of two ambulance vans. We've all kept our distance so they don't feel uncomfortable. A few of them hug her before they are taken away to a local hospital.

She stands still watching them go. She hasn't said it but i can tell by how much it affected her that she was once in their position. That would of made it ten times harder for her, she would feel responsible for not being able to save everyone. I walk closer to her, i wish i could keep her from everything that hurts her. I want to be her armor keeping her protected, never letting anyone or anything close enough to do harm.

"You did good El, those women are safe because of you." I quietly say from behind her. I don't want touch her in case I make her feel uneasy when she is grieving and in pain.

"Her name was Madeline, she was here last time i was..." her words trail off. She knew one of those women? My poor sweetheart.

"Can i hug you Beautiful?" She looks over at me, my words snapping her our of the daze she was in. She nods and smiles sadly, taking a few steps towards me. I bring her in and squeeze her tightly. Covering as much of her body with mine as i can, hopefully making her feel as safe as possible right now.

"You did everything you could, don't blame yourself." She pushes her face deeper into my chest at my words.
"I'm so proud of you sweetheart."

"Thank you Simon." She murmurs into my chest.

We stay like that for a little longer before I see Gaz and Bolt arrive on the pier.

"Bolt is here." I say down to her, Hawks asked Gaz to keep him away until the girls bodies where gone.

El lifts her head up to look and me first and then over to were Bolt is. She releases her grip and goes over to him. Hawks isn't far behind her, they both hug him from either side.

"Guys I'm okay, don't embarrass me." He looks defeated but he's trying to stay in good spirits. I can't remember how I reacted in his position, not sure I ever was in it. You have to have innocence to lose it.

"Our main source of fun is embarrassing you." El says to him as they release him.

"Proud of you Marcus. I know that wasn't easy." Hawks says to him.

"How is she?" Reds asks quietly as he comes to stand next to me.

"Surprisingly better than I expected."

"That's good. She is much better at processing her own emotions when you are around." He pats me on the shoulder. So am I if I think about it.

"So now what sir?" Soap asks Price. We are on the way back to the trucks we have parked a few klicks away. Soap and I are protectively on either side of El as we walk. Reds is in front and Hawks at the back. She is sad but she's dealing with it, better than we all expected.