Chapter 7 : Nothing But Perfection

"I ran away from home, though I feel like they would have kicked me out if I hadn't so..." You mumble, not knowing if you should elaborate, "I... It's about my sexuality... And my family didn't support me, so I really had no choice." You continue, tears threatening your eyes. It's silent for a second.

William stares at you, not responding for a second, "Oh... I see," he starts, not really knowing why to say, "I'm sorry to hear that, I'm hoping New Harmony hasn't been as bad as an experience..."

You laugh softly, "Oh trust me, nothing can top getting looked at by your family like... Like you were a stranger, a mistake..." you mumble, those tears you were fighting, now falling down onto your lap.

You hear William's chair move as he gets up, and you tense up when you feel his hands on your shoulders, "I don't really do comfort... But I really wish you happiness in this town, if you need anything, I am here." William mumbles, chuckling at his own awkwardness.

"You don't need to, I'm fine. I was stupid to come out, I should've known-"

"Well, would you rather be living in a place where you could never really be yourself or somewhere you could show that perfection to the world?" William asks in a small whisper right next to your ear.

You can't help but blush from how close he was and his choice of words, perfection? You never would call it that considering how much it messed up your life yet here he was, saying it and it felt nice. You make eye contact with William, he's so very close and neither of you really moves. His eyes just bore into yours, you can't help but want to stay like forever. You both jump at a knock at his office door, William sighs, giving your shoulders a reassuring squeeze before going to open the door. You quickly wipe the few tears still on your face and collect yourself when he opens it.

"What is it?" William says, slight annoyance clear in his tone.

It was Scott, "Uh, Henry needs to talk to you..." he mumbles, trailing off.

William sighs, "Fine," he turns back to you, "You gonna be okay? You can chill outside or in here, I don't mind."

You nod, "Uh, yeah. I'm fine, I'll get out in a second, just do what you need to William." You respond, smiling slightly.

Once William leaves, you take a deep breath, trying to contain the overflow of emotions that crowded your heart, threatening to get out. You get up, brushing your shirt off, a little embarrassed to have broken down so easily. After you're finally all pulled together, you leave William's office. You can hear a little bit of Henry's and William's conversation considering they didn't bother to close the door. And curiosity gets the better of you when you hear your name. So you approach the door, trying not to get caught as you listen in.

"You can't just hire people out of the blue like that, William," Henry says with a sigh.

"Come on, you're not actually mad? Right?" William asks, messing around with Henry's photo frames.

"I'm not mad, just annoyed. Also, why would you make him your assistant of all things?" Henry asks, raising an eyebrow at William, grabbing his frames back.

"Well, it was more a joke but he seemed fine with it so I just went with it. I can talk to him if he wants to join in on day shifts or something, I genuinely don't need an assistant. But seeing him every day is something I can get behind." William says with a chuckle, this only makes you blush.

"Right, you do that..." Henry mutters, rolling his eyes at his friend's words, "I just hope you keep it professional."

"Okay, dad." William teases, chuckling.

You back away from the door, you didn't really feel like hearing their whole conversation as well as not really wanting to get caught. You walk off to the main part of the Diner, as soon as you get there, you see a bunch of kids. The music is quiet, probably because it's still early, around 9:30 AM. You walk off, waving when you see... Jeremy if you recall right. He waves back awkwardly, you haven't actually talked to him. He seems rather reserved and you'd rather not bother the guy, especially at work.