Chapter 9 : Wishful Thinking

You can't help but enjoy being with William and his kids, maybe it was due to them being a family. Something you wish you had still... You know complaining doesn't help but it really does feel good to be mad. You're mad at yourself, you family, your friends, and the life you led in Kanarraville... Basically, all you ever knew came to a sudden halt when they found out you weren't their "perfect son" or friend...

While you enjoy New Harmony, at least with what you have seen, you can't help but wish you could be back home. But that may never happen, would your parents ever be willing to put up with you? Or are you dead to them? You think you completely zoned out and perk up when you feel someone shake your shoulder.

"Hello???" William jokes, trying to get your attention.

You snap back to reality, "Yeah?" You answer, a little confused.

William looks at Elizabeth and she says something, probably repeating what she said when you zoned out, "Daddy said you're new to town so I was wondering if we could go shopping for clothes! I wanna help pick things out for you and we can be friends even more!" She said with a squeal, a hopeful look on her face.

"Oh! That sounds nice!" You respond, smiling sweetly at the young girl.

"Then let's go!" She practically screamed.

"Woah, woah. Elizabeth, Y/N hasn't said yes yet or if he can go right now. Calm down." William says with a chuckle, calming down his bundle of joy hyper child.

"Awww... Pleaseeee? Please? Please?" Elizabeth begs, giving you sweet puppy eyes.

You laugh slightly, "Sure, I don't see why not? As long as that's okay with you William?"

"I wouldn't have let her ask if I wasn't okay with it," William responds, a low chuckle accompanying his hot voice... And look there, now you're back to being a fucking simp.

You don't even know if the guy is married, you sort of assumed he is but you don't see a ring and haven't seen his wife or significant other in general. While you have doubts, you kind of feel like he's flirting with you, and now you seriously don't know if he's straight. Clearly, he probably likes women considering he has 3 kids who you're fairly sure aren't adopted. The boys are obviously William's, you can easily tell. Whilst Elizabeth probably got her hair from her mom because she definitely shares traits with her dad so no way she's adopted...

You blush realizing you once again zoned off, you gotta stop doing that, "Uh right! So... right now?" You awkwardly say as William smirks at your demeanor.

"Well, of course. Henry can hold up the fort while we're out..." William answers, his usual tone really does bring you comfort. You never thought it would, but having dealt with what happened earlier, you're happy to have the normal back.

Your mind drifts off to the thought of going out with William... with his family! It's not a date, geez... Even if you want it to be. He's your boss Y/N, damn it, plus he's probably only being nice because you have no friends in New Harmony yet. He obviously knows this. The only possible friend you have is Damien/Daryl and well, he got stuck with you. Maybe it was wishful thinking, but you think William might be interested in you in the slightest bit...?

"I'll just get my things packed up, be nice to Y/N kids. Especially you Michael." William muttered that last bit before walking to his office.

As you assumed earlier, Michael is definitely the rebel of the three. You never personally had a rebel stage but your sister did, she did a lot of things. Blow the family money on boys, hang out with boys when she was told not to, and sneak off in the middle of the night to be with, you guessed it, boys. Even with all that, your guy's parents never once really try to fix her behavior or get in trouble. But you, oh wow were the reactions different...

"So Y/N, what type of clothes do you like?" Elizabeth asks, you chuckle when you see she has a pen and paper.

"I don't really mind too much, anything comfortable that fits is all good. Oh, but I don't really like bright colors..." You mumble.

"Awww, so I can't dress you in all neon???" Elizabeth whines, you can't tell if that was a joke or not.

But you laugh, it seems to have been funny to her brothers since Evan giggles a little. And Michael, wow, she made him snort slightly. It's cute, even if they're a little bit patchy and argue, you can see they care about each other. Maybe Michael won't admit but he knows it's true.

A few minutes later, after a couple more questions about your style, William comes back. He has a little back with journals and stuff... he'll probably be working or something while the 5 of you are out. You're a little sad he may not pay attention to your "fashion show" but kind of happy since you'd rather not be seen by him while in all neon.

.

William was trailing behind the 3 of you as Elizabeth practically dragged you to different corners of the clothing shop. Michael had drifted off basically as soon as you guys came in, either to look for something himself or to get away from you guys. Elizabeth picks out a bunch of different things, from a flamingo shirt to a crop top. You don't know why she seems to think any of those would look good on you. It takes a while for her to finally find something you agree to wear, it's a simple purple button-up with slight lace.

Elizabeth claims that since you're working with her dad, you should match clothes with him. William starts to pay attention when he hears this, and his curiosity peaked. You find it embarrassing to put it on knowing that it's so you match with William. Not a bad embarrassing but still. Surprisingly to yourself, you actually like the way it looks on you. You were never much of a lace person, maybe it's from living in a household with strong gender norms... But now you think this shirt has awakened a liking for lace, when you step out, you can't help but blush.

"You look so good in purple! See, you can rock bright colors! We should try the flamingo shirt on-" Elizabeth starts.

"No more flamingos!" You joke out, giggling as you adjust the collar of the shirt.

"She's right though, purple suits you." William teases, smirking at your flushed expression.

"W... Well, purples your color so I wouldn't want-" you try to say but William interrupts you.

"Well, maybe it could be our color," William says, and that did it for you. The way he said the word our, the way he looked at you when he said it, and the way he confidently said it? He seriously has to know you like him at this point... Like the blush on your face is brighter than the shade of purple you're currently wearing. But he doesn't say anything more, he just smirks and goes back to whatever he's doing in that journal of his...

.

You try on a few more outfits, you end up finding multiple dress shirts since you enjoy wearing them for work. A pair of skinny jeans, some basketball shorts, and a sweater for when it gets cold later this year. As you guys walk to the cash register to pay, William tells Elizabeth to go get Michael since they'll be leaving soon. You barely realize, you haven't once heard Evan talk. He's laughed once but other than that, it's been nods and head shaking. You hope it's not because he doesn't like you or something...

You escape your thoughts when it's your turn to pay and freeze when William quickly pays for you. You try and grab his arm to stop him but he doesn't, he only smiles at you.

"I insist." He dismisses and before you can say anything else, the payment finishes and he grabs your things.

"You really didn't need to..." You mumble, blushing, embarrassed.

"Oh but I really wanted to. See it as my welcoming gift to both the town and your first day at the Diner." William says, his voice not wavering once.

You stay quiet, not really knowing what to say as a response to that but choke up a small, "Thank you."

"My pleasure, darling." William teases, making sure Evan is by his side as he goes to find his other two kids...