Chapter 12 : Suffocating

As you take a sip of your drink, you can't help but feel awkward. What happened between them? You don't know, hopefully, it's not too serious... You brush it off and try to focus on eating your breakfast but it's hard to do so. You keep catching both of them glaring at each other, they're behavior is really driving your curiosity. The air feels thick with drama, so you can't help it anymore and ask.

"Why do you guys not like each other?" You ask, stirring your drink a little. Both of them turn to look at you before staring back at each other, Damien/Daryl sits back.

"Do you want to or?" Damien/Daryl asks bitterly.

"Alright." William says with a shrug, "Let's just say, Mr. Reporter here tried to defame with his little articles. It's not my fault what happens at my establishment." William announces with a smirk.

"I wasn't defaming you, I was revealing the truth. It's not my fault people die at your establishment." Damien/Daryl hisses back. When you hear that, your eyes widen within reason as you stare at William, curious to hear his explanation.

"I make the risk known to my workers, me and Henry are the only ones allowed inside the suits-" William tries to say.

"I'm not talking about the suits, everyone knows those are dangerous. I'm talking about the missing cases." Damien/Daryl interrupts, glaring at William further.

"Places don't make people go missing, people do. Leave the missing cases to the professionals, and missing doesn't mean dead. For a reporter, you'd think you'd be specific." William mocks, rolling his eyes.

"Reporting the news is my job and if people are g-" Damien/Daryl raises his voice to argue only to be cut off by William.

"No, no. Your job is to write little paragraphs like an elementary student so shut the fuck up, thank you. I'm going to work." William says, raising his voice louder than Damien's/Daryl's before getting out of his seat.

You anxiously fidget your fingers and flinch when William aggressively throws his coffee in the trash before leaving. You kind of feel like this is your fault since you asked, you turn to look at Damien/Daryl who is getting up as well. Yeah... You ruined both of their days... Fuck.

Damien takes a sip of his coffee, "Um, I'm going to work too," he mumbles.

"A... Alright, you gonna be okay?" You ask, grabbing his shoulder.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just annoyed, that guy just gets on my nerves. I had to interview him around a month ago, it was the worst." Damien/Daryl mutters.

You can't help but laugh, "It couldn't have been that bad..." You insist.

"Trust me, it was. Anyways, I gotta head off to work, I'll see you at home, Y/N." Damien/Daryl says with a gentle smile. You nod, getting up as you finish up your drink and food before throwing away your trash.

You walk out the exit with one another, "See you later!" You chirp about to walk away before Damien/Daryl pulls you into a hug.

You hug him back, laughing a bit at the sudden affection yet a little confused about where it came from as he pulls away. His face is flushed a bit as he turns around to walk to work, you don't say anything. It takes you a second before you start walking to work, the hug was nice but was he blushing? Maybe he just got embarrassed realizing it was super sudden or something...? You brush it aside and continue your work, enjoying the scenery and peacefulness of the small town of New Harmony.

.

Once you get to work, you see Scott walking inside, you hurry to walk along side him, "Hey, Scott! You chirp out.

"Oh, Y/N! Hey, good morning." Scott greets, a sweet smile on his face.

"Morning, can I ask you something before we open up?"

"Uh sure?"

"I heard about people going missing in here... Is that true?" You question, wanting more information on the subject.

You see Scott tense up, looking at you for a second with some unrecognizable emotion in his eyes. Was it fear? Anxiety? Worry? What was so wrong with you asking, sure it was a sensitive topic but why is he so surprised? Wouldn't you have found out about it soon enough?

"Where... Where did you hear about that?" Scott asks, looking around as if to make sure no one was listening.

"Um, through a friend. Why?" You ask, tilting your head in confusion.

"I thought that article got taken down before it even went public..." Scott mumbles, awkwardly. Ah... That's why he seemed so shocked to hear you ask that, no one is supposed to know. No one is supposed to know? How is that?

You're about to say something else when the front door opens, it's Henry. You haven't really like ever talked to that guy, other than when he approached you. You don't know if you should change that but... Whatever right now I guess. Scott's demeanor immediately changes as he sees Henry.

"Morning Henry!" Scott chirps, lightly squeezing your shoulder. You take it as a sign to not talk about the subject anymore.

"Hi Henry," you greet, awkwardly.

Henry just hums and mumbles a "Morning," quietly before walking bee-line to his office. Once he's gone, Scott practically drags you to the office and pushes you inside before closing the door behind him. He turns to you and sighs, thinking about what to say as he closes the blinds.

"Look, William doesn't like talking about that, nor does Henry. It's true but I mean, it's not our fault really. We don't want it to damage the reputation of the restaurant so please keep it down about that. If you want to ask anyone about it, talk to Henry..." Scott says, anxiously looking around.

You're a little shocked by what he just said, "Wait, so you guys covered up kidnappings to save your reputation...?" You ask while still taken aback.

"I know how it sounds, I learned to not ask questions about it. It's better if you don't but I can't really stop you..." Scott mumbles, he seems a little ashamed.

"I don't know if I can do that..." You mumble back.

Scott is about to say something when he's interrupted, yet again when the door opens. The world really does like interrupting Scott it seems. You look to see who it was, it was William. Haven't we been here before?

"What are you two talking about? Why was the door locked?" William asks, raising an eye at the two of you.

"Nothing serious." Scott responds, "Y/N just wanted to ask me something. That's it."

"Uh, yeah! I wanted some tips on the morning shift!" You lie as best as you can, you don't know if William believes you but you think he does. You know you can lie super well, your parents didn't catch on to your sexuality till you told them personally... So hopefully you still got it.

"Right... Anyways, can I talk to you Y/N? In my office?" William asks, now you're genuinely wondering if he believes you or not...

"Sure, bye Scott..." You awkwardly say, a little nervous about what William has to say. Does he know you're lying or is this about what Damien/Daryl said? Or maybe it's something new.

You wave at Scott and he waves back slowly, you follow behind William as he leads you to his office. It's an awkward walk, you're kind of scared to be alone with him after what you saw today. The way William acted earlier was a little scary, and now you're going to be alone with him. Oh fuck, what did you get yourself into, surely you're just having an over reacting mind right now... William is not a bad person! He cares about you! Right?

William guides you into his office, letting you walk in first. It's dark. It takes him a second to turn the lights on so for a second, you're alone with him in the dark. As if you weren't anxious enough from today, he doesn't say anything when he does turn the lights on. William just approaches you, you back up into his desk and your eyes are stuck staring into his dark blue pair.

"William?"