Riley 6

I hear Jake and the girl next to him whispering to each other.  I can't hear what they are saying, but her eyes are saying everything I have already heard a million times.  Why would a guy like Jake be interested in a girl like me?

Well, he's not "interested" in me, but, at least he is friendly.  He hasn't been mean, like Ryan's friends.  That makes him my knight in shining armor.  

The chick keeps talking to him until I hear him shush her.  I bite my top lip to keep from grinning.

The minute that the lecture is over Jake jumps up and turns to me.  "Come on, Ri.  Let's get these turned in."  He deliberately pulls out my photo and shows it off.  "Like it?"

The chick next to him makes a noise and walks off.

I grin.  "You didn't impress her with that."

"I made my point very clearly, if you ask me."

"I take it that she was trying to impress you?"

"I don't like catty girls."

"We're all catty at times."  I grin as I fish out his photos from my back pack.

Today he is wearing a black jacket over a white pullover shirt and black jeans.  

Today I wish I was black denim and hugging his ass!

I show him the photo that I chose to blow up.  "Nice?"

"Meh.  Your subject is boring."

"Hey!  I don't agree!"

"All I see is a guy who studies all the time and doesn't have much time for his friends."

I peer down at  the photo.  "Huh, I could have sworn that I saw a good looking guy who probably has girls up the wazoo."

Jake snorts.  "No time for girlfriends."

"What a shame.  Stodgy old bachelorhood for your future."  I tease.

He flexes his bicep and kisses it.  "I can have 'em any time I want 'em."

I pretend to gag as I set his photo down on the teachers desk.

He sets his assignment on top of mine and we walk out of class.

"I've got to run.  I'll see you Wednesday, Riley."  And then he is gone. 

Wednesday when I walk into class the portraits are all hung around the room.  I find a seat near the back and look around for the one that I took.  It doesn't take long to find.  It is near the front of the room, and what's more?  It's right next to the one he took of me!

Jake gets to class late and is forced to sit near the front.  Damn!  Looks like I won't get to talk to him today.

I see him looking around the room and I can tell when he spots our portraits.  His eyes begin searching the classroom and then he see's me and a huge grin comes across his face.

I twiddle my fingers and silently tell him to turn back around.

"Did you take that picture of him?"  I hadn't even noticed "Catty girl"  next to me.

"Yes, I did."  I whisper.

"Are you dating him?"

"We're friends."  I leave it at that.

"I'd climb all over him if he were my friend."

I just grin and leave her hanging.  I'd like to climb all over him too!

"I'd like everyone to take the time to study each portrait and make notes on which ones are good and why.  Then we will discuss your finding next week.  Your assignment for this week are landscapes."  The professor dismisses us early so that we can look at each others work.

I move over to the photo nearest to me and study it for light, placement, distance, etc.

"That one is kind of dark, but the placement is good."  Jake says from over my shoulder.

I look up to see his chin hanging above my shoulder.  "Do you think they meant for the edges to be blurry?"

"Doubt it."

We move to the next one.  It is a photo of an old woman with deep wrinkles.  "Oh, look at that!  I love how the light catches on her skin!  It's like part of her skin is in daylight and the other part is night."  I breathe.

He looks down at me.  "You have good taste."

I make a face, but then can't help grinning.

Catty girl is staring at my portrait that I took of Jake.  "Did you take your clothes off to pose for this?"  She asks Jake.  "I can see the tops of your shoulders."

Jake looks down at me and grins.  "Not all of them."  He puts his arm around my shoulders.  "Did you take your clothes off, Riley?"

I can tell that I am blushing as I look up at him.  "Not all of them."

Catty girl looks at me.  "I thought you said that you weren't dating him?"

Jake steers me away quickly.  "Moving on!"

I laugh quietly.  "Button pusher."

He takes his arm away but doesn't move away from my side.  

"Will you be at the football game on Saturday, Jake?"  I ask.

"Probably not."  He says with regret.  "If I work hard, I may be able to meet my friends after for dinner."

"Oh.  That's too bad."  I say sadly.

"You going?"

"My brother will have a hissy-fit if I don't."

"You're not going with him and his friends, are you?"

"No.  I'll be okay."