Jake 21

My whole world is shit!  My girl just pulled the rug out from under my feet and I don't have a place to stand.

I have been walking the streets since I left the house around three hours ago.  She should be packed up and gone by now.  She only had clothes and small stuff.  The rest of it is still at her brothers place.  That's probably where she will go, for now.

I am tempted to get in my truck and drive by there, but no.  I have to let her go.

She chose her path, and it wasn't with me.

I let myself back into the house.  My roommates are in the front room and kitchen when I come in, eating dinner.

Di gets up and leaves the room as soon as she see's me.

Mix looks at me straight.  "She's gone."

I nod.  I'm not hungry.  I go into my bedroom.  It looks bare.  Her clothes are gone from the closet.  Her purse, make up, phone and ear buds, gone.

The only thing still there is her scent.  I pick up her pillow and hold it to my face and breathe in.  There, behind my closed door, I let the tears fall on my face.

For the next week I just go through the motions of living.

I look up every time I expect her to be there, and she's nowhere.

I begin going out of my way to try to see her, but she's not there.

I even go to the bookstore.  "She's not here.  She gave her notice last week."  Lucy tells me.

Di has been avoiding me all week too.  She's obviously mad at me.

I sit down with Mix and Brian while they play a video game.  I don't feel like talking.

"You going to tell us what happened?"  Brian finally asks me.

"We broke up."

"You state the obvious."

"I just can't have a girlfriend right now."

"Bull shit.  You were doing fine together.  More than fine."

"Ya, well things change!"

"You can't tell me you don't still have feelings for her."  Brian pushes.

"Even if I wanted her back, you know what my situation is!  How will I stay in school if my parents find out about her?"

"Get a job, dickwad!"  Mix growls.

"So, school, and your parents paying your bills are more important to you than the girl you love?"  Di demands from her bedroom doorway.

"Even if I wanted to apologize, I can't!  I can't find her anywhere on campus!" 

"What would you say to her if you found her?"

"That I'm sorry."

"Sorry for what?  Sorry that she isn't important enough to fight for?"

"She is......"

"Is she, Jake?  Or are you just saying what you think I want to hear?"

"I love her, and you're right, I do need to fight for her, but it's too late!  I've lost her!  I screwed up.  I said some really bad things."  

"Yes, you did."

"Maybe you could call her brother."  Brian volunteers.

"He'll kill me.  I'm surprised he hasn't been here yet."

"Why would he do that?"  Kegan asks from the kitchen door where he's been listening from.  "Besides, he's been away.  Drafted by the Chargers, you know."

"Do you want her back Jake?  Under the circumstances?"  Di asks me.

I look her in the eye and I realize that she knows.  "Yes.  I love her, and I want her back."

"She went home to Portland."

"Thanks Di."  I grin in relief.  "I need to go get my girl."

It's a new week and I am skipping school and driving to Portland.  I have her address plugged into my GPS and can't wait to see her.

I am terrified that she may not want me anymore.  I said terrible, unforgivable things.

Why would she want someone who doesn't even care about her to introduce her to his parents?  Someone who cared about money more than her?

She will probably slam the door in my face.

I deserve to have the door slammed in my face.

When I drive up to the two tier home in a nice neighborhood, I see her Honda in the driveway, I park behind it and go to the door.  

An older version of her brother Ryan answers the door.  This must be her father.  "Yes?"

"Sir, I was hoping to speak with Riley?"

The longer he looks at me, the flatter his mouth becomes.  "She isn't home."

"Sir, I really need to speak to her.  Is it okay if I wait?  I need to apologize."

"I don't want her upset again.  You should have called first."

"Sir, I know that I messed up, but I love her.  I want her back!  Please!"

Her dad seems to make a decision.  He opens the door and lets me in.  "Thank you Mr. Scott.  We haven't been formally introduced.  I am Jake Morrow.  I've been dating Riley, up until a week ago, that is."

"So, does this mean that you are going to take responsibility for your actions?"

"Yes Sir.  I love your daughter.  I am going against my own parents wishes in having a girlfriend, but they never said that I couldn't have a wife.  With your blessing, Sir?"