Riley 24

Jake and I drive up to a modest ranch style, single level home on the outskirts of town, with a large yard around it.

"Well, this is it.  Are you ready?"

"Ready as I'll ever be.  Do I look okay?"

He looks at me.  "Riley, you are the most beautiful woman in the world to me.  You always look good."

"I love you too."  I murmur.

He smiles his beautiful, sexy smile, then gets out to come around to my side.  

We go to the front door and Jake opens the door.  "Mom, Dad, anybody home?"

"Jake?  Is that you Honey?"  A lady comes out of what, I assume, is the kitchen, holding a dishtowel.  She stops the minute she see's that Jake is not alone.

"Mom."  Jake kisses her cheek.  "Where's Dad?"

"He's in the family room.  Bill!"  She hollers.  "Jake is home."  Her eyes, the same color as Jake's,  meet mine in curiosity.

I smile and she smiles back.  I relax slightly in relief.

Jakes dad comes into the room and stops in surprise.  I can immediately see where Jake gets his good looks from.  "Hello Son, who do you have with you?"

Jake takes a deep breath and lets it out.  "I know that you both don't want me to have a girlfriend until after I graduate, and I tried to follow your wishes, I really did, but then I met Riley, and I fell in love.  I'd like you to meet your daughter-in-law."

"Jake?"

"Yes Mom.  We got married yesterday."

"Why didn't you invite us to the wedding?"  His mom sounds close to tears.

"You didn't want me to have a girlfriend, what was I supposed to think?"

"Oh Honey, we only wanted you to choose wisely, and I'm sure you have."  His mom comes over to me.  "Welcome to the family Riley."  

"Thank you."

His dad also comes and gives me a hug and they both hug Jake.  "Well, I guess that backfired on us a little."  He says to Jake's mom.

"What do you mean Dad?"  Jake asks.

"We figured that if you thought we didn't want you to have a girlfriend, that you'd only bring someone home if she was special.  We didn't think that you wouldn't invite us to the wedding."

"We went to the courthouse in Portland where Riley's folks live.  We can have a fancy thing later if we decide to, but it will have to wait for a while.  I need to find a job before your first grandchild arrives."  

"What?"  The parents chorus together.

"Before you say anything, this wasn't an oops baby.  Riley and I have been together for eight months now.  We met at the beginning of the school year when we were both in the library at the same time.  I heard her giggle, and that was that."