Riley 12

"Di, what do you think?"  I model the new sports bra I am trying on.  "Do you think that this will hold me up?"  I hold up the girls and bounce them.  "No, obviously not!"  I laugh.  "Give me that industrial strength one!"

She hands me one in my favorite hot pink color.

"I wish I had tits like yours, Riley.  Mix probably wishes it too."  Di complains.

"I'm sure he's happy with yours."

"Oh, he's happy, but every guy wants a little extra."

"That's what they make padded bra's for."  

"Or padded boxer shorts?"

"They don't make those!"

"No, they are called socks!"  We are laughing so loud that we can probably be heard across the store.

"Let's get together again soon Riley!  You should come over sometime when the boys aren't home and we can watch our movie."  

"I'd love to!"

We are walking out of the store when the catty girl from my class and her friend stop us.  "Well, look who's here."  She looks me up and down.  "I saw your boyfriend earlier today."  She waits to see if I'll say anything.  "He was with another girl.  Making plans for a date with her on Friday."  When I still don't say anything, she laughs.  "Thought you should know."   Then she and her friend walk off with their heads together.

Di grabs my arm and steers me the other way.  

I am trying really hard not to cry, but there is a tick in my cheek and they are not far off.

"I'm sorry Riley."  Di says softly.

"It's okay."  I can't help the quiver in my voice.  "He told me I was just a friend."

"What an asshole!"  Di seems very angry on my behalf.  "Tell you what, how about I get Mix to take the two of us out on Friday?  We might be able to get Kegan or Brian to go too."  She suggests.  "Forget the dumb-ass and come out with us!"

I take a deep breath.  "Okay.  It's better than sitting by myself at the laundromat."

"I should think so."

I didn't want to admit it to Di, but Friday is my birthday.

It's a bye week for the football team, so Ryan comes with me as a big brother should to celebrate his sisters twentieth birthday.

I decided to get dressed up in a short black skirt and thigh-high boots, with a shell pink, lacy, off shoulder top.  When I see Jake sitting at the table with his date, I am glad I did. I am also glad I have my own date, even if he is my brother.

Jake's date is beautiful, with long blond hair and long legs.

Di jumps up to meet me.  "There she is!"  She takes my arm and whispers.  "I'm sorry!  I didn't know he would bring her here!"

I take a deep breath.  "It's okay, Di.  I'd like you to meet my brother Ryan.  Ryan, this is Di, my new friend."

"Hi Di."  He holds out his hand to her as Mix joins us.

"And this is her boyfriend Mix."  The guys talk football while Di and I try to find a place for Ryan and I to sit.

Jake comes up behind me.  "I didn't know you'd be here."

I look at him.  "Di invited me."  I look back at Di.  "Maybe we should take another table?"

"Yes."  She agrees.  "We don't want to crowd you Jake."  She takes me by the hand and steers me away from him.

I go back and hang as near to Ryan as I can while he is introduced around to my new friends.

Brian insists on putting a couple of tables together so that we can all sit together and slides in on the other side of me and Ryan.  "How did Riley convince you to come out with us tonight?"  He asks my brother.

Ryan smirks at me.  "I wanted to treat her for her birthday."

"Birthday?"  Di crows.

Ryan laughs at me.  "You didn't tell them?"

I shake my head.  "He bought me this whole outfit, and some new earbuds and a phone!"  I tell Di.

"Why didn't you tell us?"  Jake demands, clearly upset.

I shake my head.  "It's no big deal.  Besides, we're all here together anyway."

"Hell yes!"  Brian yells and gives me a big kiss.  "Happy birthday Riley!"

Ryan looks over at Jake.  "So, you're the guy from her photography class?"  Then he looks at me in concern.  I try to silently tell my brother that it's okay.  Even though he is a jerkwad, we are close and he see's my pain.

"Come on Sis, birthday dance."  Ryan grabs my hand and hauls me away.