Riley 22

Mom pulls into the driveway and cuts the engine.  "Who's truck is that?"

I start to shake when I see the black SUV.  "Mom, I think that Jake is here."

She lets out a breath.  "Do you want to see him?"

"I don't know why he would drive all the way from Eugene on a school day."

"Maybe you should go see what he has to say."

"Stay with me?"  I beg.

"Of course, Honey."

We walk into the house and find Dad in the family room.  

My eyes go to Jake, who stands as soon as we enter the room.  "Jake."

He bites his lip and loses the battle with tears that collect in the corners of his dark eyes.  "Riley."  He steps toward me.  "I'm sorry.  I love you so much!  Please forgive me?"

I start to cry and he wraps his arms around me and buries his face in my hair.  "You mean more to me than anything!  You and the baby.  I'll get a job.  We'll be okay."

"Oh Jake, I love you.  Are you sure?  About the baby?  I know you're not ready, but I already love it.  We made it."  I whisper the last.

He touches my tummy gently.  "She's going to be beautiful, like her mommy."

I laugh.  "You've met Dad, now I'd like you to meet Mom."

"Mrs. Scott.  Please forgive me fore hurting your daughter.  I promise to never intentionally do it again."

"You'd better not."

Jake turns back to me.  "Riley, there's something else.  I've already asked your dad."  He gets down on one knee.  "Riley, I don't have a ring yet, but I want you to know that I love you, more than anything.  You are my everything and I want to spend every day of my life with you.  Will you marry me?"

My hand covers my trembling lips.  I can't talk, so I nod.

Jake jumps up and grabs me and twirls me around.

"Young man, be careful of my grandchild!"  Mom scolds.

Jake laughs and sets me on my feet and kisses me thoroughly, right in front of Mom and Dad.

"Riley, we are going to stay here in Portland until we can get a license and go to the courthouse.  If you want a fancy wedding, we can do that later, okay?"

"Okay, but what about your folks?"

"We will introduce you to them as my wife."

"Oh Jake.  I hope they aren't disappointed."  

"In you?  How could they?  No, if they are disappointed, it will be in me."

For now, we wear matching bands of white gold that Mom and Dad purchased for us.  I keep looking at my finger as we drive home from the courthouse.  

"It's not a mood ring.  It won't change color if you stop looking at it!"  Jake teases me.

"I still can't believe what it represents."

"It tells everyone else that I love you."

"Same with the one you are wearing!"  I smile.  

"We need to pack up all your stuff tonight.  I'm sorry that we have to drive separate cars home."

"I'll need mine, so we have no choice."

"When we get home, we'll go tell my parents the news.  Then I will start looking for a job."

"I'll try to get my job back at the bookstore."  

He looks over at me.  "Maybe for now."

We spend our wedding night in each others arms and then say goodbye to my parents the next morning.