Jake 11

I'm not doing a very good job of taking my own advice.  

Only friends, Morrow!  Only friends!

Why the hell did I kiss her?

Why the hell do I want to go back and do it proper?

There is something that happens to me when I am near her.  I get stupid!

I start the engine of my truck and pull out onto the street.  I have to go back to the library, when all I want to do is follow her to the laundromat.  

Two hours later I can't stop myself from driving by her house to make sure she made it home.  Her Honda is parked out front.  

She's okay.

I haven't eaten since breakfast so I need to go home.  That's probably why I went sideways on Riley.  I should have eaten sooner.  

When I walk into out house Di yells from the bedroom.  "Spaghetti in the fridge!"

"Thanks Di!  Love you!"  

She comes out of her room to see me.  "When is Riley coming over again?"

I glance at her while I fill a plate to put in the microwave.  "Don't know."

"I like her.  Can I have her number?"

"What makes you think I have it?  I've only known her a week."  

"You do."

I grin.  "I only got it today."  I admit.  "When I took her phone back to her."

"Can I have it?"

"I'm sure she won't mind."  I text it to Di as I wait for my food to warm up.  "I'm going to shoot her a text to let her know I gave it to you."

"Too late!  I just sent her one."

I open my mouth, then just close it and shake my head while I take my food to the living room to eat in front of the television.

She joins me and Mix on the sofa in a few minutes.  "Yay!  Riley said that she'd go to the mall with me after school on Tuesday."  

"Now what are you looking for?"  Mix complains.  "You don't need any more clothes!"

"I just want to have some girl time with my new friend."

Mix looks at me.  "Beware!"

"Behave Di."  I warn.  "Remember, she's my friend, not my girlfriend."

"Oh, shut up!  I can tell you like her."

"So what if I like her?  She's still not going to be my girlfriend."

"Maybe she wouldn't want to put up with you anyway."  Di says, dismissively.  "I have someone else I can introduce her to.  He might like her."

"Who?"

"Never, you, mind.  You don't want her."

"Fuck!  Keep her away from Daniver!"  I get up and go to my bedroom and close the door.

Monday morning in class I sit next to Riley as the class dissects each of our photos.  The one Riley took of me is a hit with the girls.

Riley sits and giggles at me as one of the girls goes into detail about my dark eyes.  

I look at her as she cackles in glee.  "I'm going to spank you if you don't shut up."  I whisper in her ear, which makes her laugh so hard she has tears coming out her eyes.

Riley is copying down the homework assignment when some guy comes up to me as the class is leaving.  "Dude, what'd you do to her to make her look sexy in that photo you took?"  He nods his head at Riley.

I raise my eyebrows at his tone.  "You have something to say about my girl, Dude?"

Riley pretends that she didn't hear him, but I know she did.

"No."  The guy says after a moment.  "Good photo."  Then he walks away.

Her head is down when she gets up and walks out of the room, and I follow.

I elect not to get into it beyond giving her a hug and a kiss on the cheek before saying goodbye.  "I'll see you later."

"Bye Jake."  She turns and heads toward the bookstore.