Jake 7

On Saturday I sit in my living room with my books spread out around me.  All my roommates are at the football game.  

I wish that I was there with them.  I would like to introduce them to Riley.  I think that they would like her.

I like her.  She's easy to talk to.  Not pretentious or demanding.

I hope her brother doesn't abandon her at the game.

If I had her number I would text her and make sure she was okay.

I make a mental note to myself to get it from her the next time I see her.  

Damn!  I need to get back to work if I want to go out tonight!

Richardson's is a dive popular with students here on campus.  It is our favorite haunt.  The four of us, me, Brian Daniver, Kegan O'Connor, and Mix Archer, and more recently, Mix's girlfriend Di Bond, have been coming here since freshman year.

We are all here in our favorite booth, plus a couple of chairs, lounging, eating burgers and just enjoying being together after a long week.  Brian, my best friend and I are architecture majors.  Mix and Di are in journalism, Kegan is a business major.  

School comes easy to Brian.  He doesn't have to spend hours processing the information, like I do.

I get distracted easily.  That's why I hold myself on a tight leash.

"You should have seen that pass from Bates to Scott!  Won the game in OT!  You missed a great game Morrow."  Mix is sitting to my right, talking with a mouth full of cheeseburger.

"Mix, could you close your mouth and chew please?"  Di winces.  "Sorry!  He isn't housebroken yet!"

I grin.  Those two are a good pair.  I wasn't sure if Di could handle our bad boy, Mix when they first started going out, but she has stuck it out for a year now.  So far, so good.

"Morrow, you know those photo's that I know you haven't deleted from your phone yet?"  Brian asks from across the table.

I frown at him to shut it!

"What photo's?"  Kegan asks.

"Just an assignment."  I explain.

"Well, that assignment is sitting right over there."  Brian points behind me.  "With another guy."

I turn around and scan the tables.

"At the counter."  Brian directs.

There she is!  Riley is talking with a big guy with massive arms.

"I see a girl talking to one of the football players.  Is that her?"  Di asks.

I see Riley frown at the guy as he hands her some cash and then snarl at him.  They are obviously arguing.

"I'm impressed, Morrow.  Your girl looks like she can hold her own."  

"Friend."  I shoot back.

"Girl.  Friend.  Take out the period and you have girlfriend."  

"Lay off Daniver!"  I growl.  

Riley slaps the guy on the arm and he laughs and kisses her cheek and then gets up and walks out.

"I think I'd walk out on that one too.  You can do better, Morrow."  Kegan snarks.

"She's a nice person, O'Connor!  You could take lessons from her!  Besides, if I cared what my friends look like, I wouldn't be friends with you!"