Chapter 8 - How's Our New Recruit?

- Stephen's POV -

"Mastery of the sling ring is essential to the mystic arts. They allow us to travel throughout the multiverse. All you need to do is focus. Visualise. See the destination in your mind." 

Mordo speech radiated through the courtyard as he paced in front of the class. Everyone had a sling ring and was practising conjuring a gateway, which to my surprise, was far more difficult than I'd expected. Sure I didn't expect to learn all of these things on the first try, but I mean, come on, some next to me were forming sparks and small rings were appearing from thin air! 

But in front of me? 

Nothing...

"Look beyond the world in front of you. Imagine every detail. The clearer the picture, the quicker, and easier, the gateway will come."

I looked up to see (Y/n) speaking to the class and turning to lock eye contact with me. She gave me a reassuring look, filling me with the energy to try again, but just as she did...

"And stop," Mordo shouted. And the class was over.

The Ancient One walked towards the two Masters along with Master Hamir. 

"I'd like a moment alone with Mr. Strange." She informed them while the rest of the class dispersed. I watched as (Y/n) and Mordo bowed and took off, leaving me alone with The Ancient One and Master.

"My hands," I muttered, seeing the disappointment on her face at my lack of progress.

"It's not about your hands." She replied.

"How is this not about my hands?" I added, irritated. 

I was used to being such a quick learner, excelling at almost everything, but since I've been here... 

I told myself that even the smallest amount of progress was acceptable. But now I wasn't seeing any. 

And that annoyed me.

"Master Hamir." She said as she gestured for the Master to step forward. 

I was confused until I saw him pull back his sleeves, revealing his amputated wrist. 

He only had one hand. 

Just as he did so, he started waving his arms and creating runes through the air, casting spells, magnificent spells, and once the demonstration was done, he bowed.

"Thank you, Master Hamir." The Ancient One said, and he left.

"You cannot beat a river into submission. You have to surrender to its current, and use its power as your own." She spoke, analysing my puzzled expression.

"I... I control it by surrendering control?" I asked, confused.

That doesn't make any sense.

I had been here for a little while now and while some things were making sense, a lot still didn't. And one of those was The Ancient One's riddles she cloaked as knowledge.

"Not everything does. Not everything has to." 

Is she reading my mind? 

"Your intellect has taken you far in life. But it will take you no further. Surrender Stephen. Silence your ego and your power will rise." And with that, she opened a portal, "Come with me."

I followed her through the ring, feeling the cold immediately hit my face.

"Wait. Is this..."

"Everest. It's beautiful."