Chapter 36 - Hauntlings

- Third POV -

"Ah ha!"

Stephen had been hovering through all the books in the library before his triumphant exclamation. He flicked the heavy leather-bound book off the shelf before the cloak hovered him back to the floor where he joined (Y/n), who was sitting in front of the unlit fireplace.

He's not going to find anything in there.

She giggled, catching his attention.

"What?"

"They said there's nothing in there."

Stephen's smug look was wiped off his face. They had been spending that whole morning digging through the library. Well, Stephen was. He was trying to find anything and everything he could relating to her powers or these Hauntlings. (Y/n) was finally looking through the journal. They were both still in their pyjamas.

"Huh."

Stephen had peered over her shoulder and joined her in reading.

 ~ Agamotto & Riu's partnership influenced the beginning of sorcerer-enchanter ties. This home away from home was watched over by two masters, unlike the other sanctums which were watched by just one. A sorcerer and an enchanter, or more accurately, an enchantress. ~ 

The two turned and looked at each other in slight confusion after reading that small paragraph.

This place you call the 'New York' Sanctum, was what they were referring to as a 'home away from home'.

"I see..." She paused thoughtfully, before meeting Stephen's confusion, "This sanctum, the safe space for sorcerers away from Kamar-Taj." She explained. He looked even more confused as to how she discovered that information before he realised she was no doubt getting told by the Hauntlings.

"Is there a way you guys can, I don't know, fill me in on the little conversations?"

It was obvious Stephen was growing a little irritated not being able to hear the Hauntlings. And she could tell he was teetering on jealousy too.

May I?

She felt her body relax before she, or really, they, moved her hand just above Stephen's messy bed hair. He closed his eyes as he felt a wave of magic wash over him. When he opened them, they both wondered if anything had happened.

Welcome to the party.

Stephen jumped slightly, now adjusting to the loud voices he could hear.

Yeah, newsflash, it's not very fun here.

I'm having a good time...

"So... you've just been living with this for the past week??" He said, pointing to his head and gesturing to the voices.

"Pretty much." She awkwardly smiled, seeing his reaction. He was shocked, he was sure he would have gone completely mad by now, but thinking back, she only grew slightly more impatient with him. With everyone. Other than that, she acted almost completely normal. Needless to say, she was very good at hiding this. Stephen adjusted to the three voices as he continued listening to them explain the journal entry.

Agamotto, which I'm guessing you both are familiar with, was the first sorcerer supreme of Earth. Riu, short for Augurium, was The Enchantress. It was her magic that passed on through the sorcerers, creating enchanters.

"So... I'm related to her?"

No. Not exactly. While there could be some ancestral ties, it would not be through the ties of your magic. Sorcerers were hand selected by Agamotto and Riu to form a specialised group. The toughest warriors, the smartest students and the most skilled casters. The Enchantress cast a spell over them, imbuing each individual with a fraction of her magic. And over time, that small slip of magic was passed down through generations. Those that went on to have families, had the opportunity to pass on their abilities. Some did. Others let that power die with them.