Chapter 26 - I've Come to Bargain

- Third POV -

Kaecilius managed to wriggle his way out of the wall just as the four sorcerers approached the Sanctum - almost fully restored. After catching up to the others, he sent his hands up, conjuring a spell - which caught the four's attention causing them to stop in their tracks and turn just as Kaecilius sent his spell to the ground, sending a shockwave through the floor and knocking the four onto the ground. Stephen's arm no longer glowed as the impact against the floor had broken the spell.

Time had stopped.

Everything around them froze; the people, the buildings, the chaos.

As the three Masters moved to stand, Strange struggled on the floor.

"Get up Strange. Get up and fight!" Mordo spoke, collecting himself, "We will finish this." he finished, readying in a defensive stance just as the other two did.

"You can't fight the inevitable." Kaecilius added, now approaching them with his two followers. Stephen was starting to get up. "Isn't it beautiful?" He was staring up in awe at the froze purple cloud above the city, "A world beyond time. Beyond death."

"Beyond time..." Stephen spoke to himself, glancing to his side to meet (Y/n)'s gaze. She had a feeling she knew what he was going to do, and she nodded, just as he took off, the cloak picking him up off the floor and towards the sky.

They all turned to watch as his body disappeared into the purple cloud.

- Stephen's POV -

As I soared higher and higher into the unknown, I couldn't help but look back towards the street I had left everyone standing on. Although I was too high up now to see their faces, I pictured the confused and worried expressions of those below, especially (Y/n)'s.

The deeper into the cloud I got, which I was now realising was less of a cloud and more of a gateway into the Dark Dimension, I started to recognise this place. This was one of the visions The Ancient One showed you when you had first arrived at Kamar-Taj. And the projection Wong showed in the library.

The glowing, floating structures that inhabited this place almost reminded me of molecular structures - little balls on the end of long veins, but they definitely weren't little. As I ventured deeper into space, I may have been realising that I had no idea what I was doing.

Here goes nothing.

- (Y/n) POV -

"He's gone." You heard Kaecilius start as you all watched Strange vanish into the dark sky, "Even Strange has left you and surrendered to his power."

Even though you assumed you knew what Stephen was about to do, you swallowed the hard lump that had formed in your throat, hoping there wasn't any truth in Kaecilius' words. You looked down as you felt a hand grab yours. Wong always had a way of feeling your anxiety, and you were all left staring after the red cloak that started to shrink until you couldn't see it any longer.

- Stephen's POV -

The cloak landed me on one of these spheres, craters all along its surface. This plan, even though I had no idea if it would work, was about to commence. So I lifted my arm and twirled the other hand, causing the green rings to return, this time, starting a time loop.

Now what?

I turned around only to be met with a giant glowing purple eye - yeah there's been a weird thing with eyes lately, I noticed.

The figure moved back, allowing me to see the whole head of what I could only assume to be Dormammu. I leapt onto a closer sphere, double checking my wrist that the time loop was still active.