Chapter 10 - Did You Shave?

- Stephen's POV -

The sun was starting to set over Kamar-Taj and as I walked through the courtyard, I noticed a woman walk into the garden.

(Y/n), must be.

I debated on whether or not I should join her, not wanting to overstep or anything. And at that moment, she turned around and found my gaze, a small smile upon her lips as she nodded her head gently, motioning for me to join her.

And so I did.

The sky was bright orange with specks of pink dusting the clouds. Small candles and lanterns illuminated the different headstones. It felt different from the garden I had experienced earlier that day. It felt warm, and much more peaceful than I had expected. As I made my way towards the same headstones I stood at that morning, I plucked two flowers off a bush nearby.

"You know you're not really supposed to do that?" I heard her say as I approached.

"Oh... I uh..." She smiled, gesturing for me to sit beside her, in front of her parents.

It felt awkward, sitting so close to her while fiddling with the flowers. I felt her place a hand on my leg, almost reassuring me to not feel uncomfortable. And so, I leant over and placed the flowers against the stones, and quietly said a prayer. After a comfortable silence for about 15 minutes, she started to stand up, and so I followed.

"Thank you, Stephen." She said, gently grabbing my hand and squeezing it.

"Did you just use my name?" I replied, smirking with a cocked eyebrow.

Sure, this might not have been the best place to crack a joke or flirt.

Wait, flirt?

But I wanted to brighten the mood. And to my surprise, she rolled her eyes.

"Don't make me take it back."

Her words were playful, and that was something I definitely wasn't expecting. Considering the tired state I had experienced her in that morning, this was a welcomed surprise. With a stupid smile on my face, we walked out of the garden, hands still connected.

After a while, I felt her gaze and turned, catching her staring at me with a puzzled look on her face.

"What?"

"I just... did you shave?" She asks almost in disbelief that she hadn't noticed sooner, picking up her hand and running it across my jaw before making its way through my hair, now also seeing the trim.

"Don't like it?" I asked with a smirk.

Her hands were so soft along my skin, and the way she played with my hair, God, I could just melt.

"No... I do, it suits you much better." She answered before roughing up my hair, laughing in the process.

I took back her hand and gently twirled her across the courtyard, a confused smile now appearing on her face. Why? Because I felt like it.

"What was that for, Doctor?" She asks as she regains her balance, hand still in mine, as she starts to walk backward.

Doctor.

Now that did something to my heart. This was the first I had heard her call me that, but really do like it.

Was I falling for (Y/n) (Y/l/n)?

Snapping back, I said as confidently as I could,

"Just seeing how much of a smile I could get from you."

I smirked at her reaction, which was, of course, her now trying to hide her smile. She moved back next to me, arms now behind her back. In all honesty, I was disappointed at the loss of her hand in mine. It just fit so well.

"Don't worry, you'll see plenty of smiles once we start training,"

"Oh yeah? And why's that?"

"Because watching you grow frustrated with yourself can be quite amusing." She chuckled. "Oh, which by the way, will start tomorrow." She said casually.

Tomorrow??

The Ancient One and (Y/n) had finally seen enough progress that I was going to learn more advanced castings. And with her. Sure, I enjoyed our small sessions in the library going over readings and materials, but now, we got to spend more time together. Although there was a small dreadful thought at the back of my mind since Mordo had 'warned' me of her harsher teaching methods.

With that, we reached my door. I looked over to see the sorceress playing with the edge of her robes. The sun had now fully set, and the glow from the lanterns hung on the walls illuminated every one of her features. Each was stunning in its own way. Without a second thought, I lifted my shaking hand to tuck a loose strand of hair away from her face. Until now, I hadn't noticed that her hair wasn't pulled back into a braid as it always was. The top half was pulled back, twisting into a small ponytail while the rest of her hair flowed down her back and over her shoulders.

And before you start, I do pay attention. She's just so distracting...

My heart was racing, now that I realised just how close we were standing, very little space in between. But just as I had thought about making a move, she cleared her throat and stepped back.

"It's late, Stephen, we've got a lot of work to do tomorrow," she said with a tired smile, bowing slightly.

She then turned hastily and made her way to her room. I just couldn't keep my eyes off her. And as she opened her door, she looked back and waved, before closing the door behind her.

As I did the same, I hadn't realised how much I was sweating.

Not attractive Stephen.

But as I got changed and lay down in bed, heart still beating out of my chest, I realised that yes, I was, in fact, falling for (Y/n). And hopefully she, though probably wouldn't admit to herself, was falling for me too.

Slightly shorter, I apologise for that. Sadly I'm going to have to slow the uploads of these chapters - not by choice I promise. But I'll try keep it semi regular. I still have to finish the book as well.

Love you guys

Until next time <3