Chapter 20 - It's Not a Cult

- Third POV -

He was awake. 

Both women jumped once again, causing Stephen to wince slightly as (Y/n) had accidentally moved the needle in fear. She handed it back over to Christine and made her way back around the table.

"Are you ok?" Christine asked, receiving a nod from him, before he turned to his other side to see (Y/n) staring down at him. 

"Hey there." He whispered. 

Flirted? 

Either way was causing a smirk and head shake from (Y/n). 

"Okay." She giggled, lightly tapping his hand and moving back to Christine. "Anything else I can do?" she asked the doctor who was now looking for some equipment.

"Actually yes, I need more thread for the sutures. Mind asking one of the nurses?"

"Of course." and (Y/n) left the room.

"I like her." Christine smirked at Stephen once the door had closed.

"So do I." He replied with a smile.

"So are you two...?"

"I, uh... It's a little complicated." He replied bashfully. 

After everything that had been happening between them, they had never had the chance to talk about their relationship that was now blossoming quite clearly.

"I'm happy for you, Stephen." She smiled. 

He could tell she was being genuine. They had both had such a rocky relationship over the years, but they had now both finally moved on to a point where they could simply be supportive of each other.

The door swung open.

"I didn't know which ones would work well so I got all of them." (Y/n) explained as she rushed back into the room, holding up several boxes of medical thread. The two doctors shared a small chuckle, causing (Y/n) to frown thinking she had done something wrong.

"This will do perfectly." Christine said, picking up one of the boxes and preparing the needle to stitch up Stephen's wound, "You can place the rest over there," gesturing to a space on the counter behind them, "I'm sure they'll be useful for whoever is in here next." She finished, a grateful smile across her lips.

"I'll, uh... leave you two to it then." She said, just as Christine turned to start her work, and before she closed the door behind her, she mouthed to Strange 'apologise', and the door clicked shut.

---

After a few minutes of stitching and cleaning, Christine finally broke the silence.

"After all this time, you just show up here, flying out of your body?"

She was in disbelief. Not only had he left them on incredibly bad terms, but he never even said goodbye, he just vanished.

"Yeah, I know." He sighed, trying not to focus on the sutures that were in progress, "I wrote you emails, but you never responded."

"Why would I?" She replied, irritated now thinking back to everything that had happened after his crash.

"Christine, I am so, so sorry. For all of it. And you were right. I was a complete asshole. I treated you so horribly and you deserved so much more." 

The words had started to flow right out of him, surprising her in the process.

"Stop. You... you're clearly in shock." He smiled at her disbelief in his words. "I mean, what the hell is happening? Where have you been?"

"Well, after Western medicine failed me, I headed East, and I ended up in Kathmandu."

"Kathmandu?" She repeated, "What, like the Bob Seger song?"

"1975, Beautiful Loser, side A." He said casually without a second thought. 

It was a little game all the doctors liked to play during a long surgery, usually resulting in Stephen besting the others with his extensive knowledge of music, probably due to his photographic memory. 

"And then, I went to a place called Kamar-Taj, or at least I went looking for it and only after (Y/n) had saved me from a bunch of street rats robbing me, then she and another sorcerer took me to the temple and there I talked to someone called The Ancient One, and..."

"Oh. So you joined a cult." She interrupted

"No, I didn't. Not exactly. I mean, they did teach me to tap into powers that I never even knew existed and I'm pretty sure (Y/n) has some hidden abilities that I'll definitely need to ask her about later."

"Yeah," She blinked, the information clearly hitting her way too fast, "that sounds like a cult."

"It's not a cult."

"That's what a cultist would say." She smiled before he moved to sit up right, his stitches now finished. "Wait, Stephen... What do you think you're doing?"

"I'm late for a cult meeting." He stated as he started to leave the room, Christine now under his arm for support.

---

(Y/n) was outside the door, pacing, as she noticed the two doctors stepping out. She quickly rushed to Stephen's other side to help.

"Where are you going?" Christine asked, noticing the other two had started off in a direction that would lead them back into the janitorial closet.

"Uhm..." He exchanged a glance with (Y/n) who smirked.

"Just tell me the truth?"

"Well, a powerful sorcerer, who gave himself over to an ancient entity who can bend the very laws of physics, tried very hard to kill us despite his bizarre affinity for (Y/n), but we left him chained up in Greenwich Village?" He turned to (Y/n) to fact check his assumption of the Sanctum's location, which she nodded to before he continued, "and the quickest way back there is through a dimensional gateway that I opened up in the mop closet." He finished.

"Okay. Don't tell me. Fine."

(Y/n) had moved to open the door of the small closet mentioned earlier to reveal the glowing ring still there. Christine's face dropped. She clearly hadn't believed anything that Stephen was saying. He then pried himself from both their grips, moving to stand on his own and walked through the portal, standing on the other end and holding out a hand for (Y/n) to join him.

"We really do have to go. Thank you." She informed Christine, before placing a hand on her shoulder and flashing her a grateful smile. She moved through the closet towards the portal, grabbing Stephen's hand, and she waved back to Christine as Stephen shut the gateway.

Hehe I like the (Y/n) - Christine dynamic, kinda cute ngl. Gonna start writing (Y/n)'s story line soon, SO PLEASE let me know if you have any thoughts :)

Until next time <3