Chapter 30 - Arms Up!

- Third POV -

"Arms up!"

It had been over a week since the students had arrived at the sanctum. Stephen & (Y/n) agreed that, since they were both juggling the responsibilities of the sanctum as well as the new guests, it would be best to split the group in two, with the students shadowing either Stephen or (Y/n) when they weren't training. The sanctum's training room had been their location for group training, which was happening at this moment; (Y/n) walking through the students and correcting their postures while Stephen called out from the front and led the demonstration.

Now, it would have made more sense for it to be the other way around, seeing as (Y/n) had more experience actually leading these sorts of things, but they had a bet, just as Stephen had hoped. The two had decided, in all their stress, that they should make this two week mentorship thingy fun. Stephen can be very convincing. So, they were individually determined to make more of an impact on the group than their counterpart. And the bet? The loser has to set up their first official date, so to them, this was a lot of pressure.

"And that's class over." Stephen said, finishing the demonstration, fairly pleased with the students' performances as well as his own. He was definitely feeling much more comfortable with his abilities. But while he got lost in his admiration, he slowly noticed a small group of students form around (Y/n), faces in awe. As he got closer, he saw she had sent a small spell around herself, coating the floor in runes that danced around their space while she glowed orange and sparks flurried through the air. Show off.

"Ahem. Mind if I borrow Master (Y/l/n) for a minute?"

In all honesty, he just wanted to stop the demonstration. She was clearly using her experience to win them over, and that would mean he'd be stuck planning their date. Now Stephen didn't usually mind this sort of task. But back then, he had more money to do extravagant things, and yet he still always managed to mess up the relationship. He didn't want to mess anything up. Now they hadn't properly discussed it, but there was a bit of an understanding that (Y/n)'s purple powers were not to be used in front of the students. For one, it would totally captivate them, and Stephen would instantly lose. But also because she had no idea how to control them or even use them, so it was best to just leave it out of the picture for now. Heck, Stephen wasn't even sure if she was aware she had them. They seriously needed to talk about it before something happened.

"Yes, Doctor?" (Y/n) replied, the spell now vanishing as the students cleared out the training room.

"Well- Uh, I... I just-"

Again, he didn't really have a valid reason for calling her away from the students. And she could sense this. So, after checking the room was empty, besides the two of them, she gently grabbed his face and kissed him, lingering ever so slightly on his lips before she pulled away just inches from his face.

"Not scared of losing, are we?" She said, her voice was so close to him. There was a slight seductive tone surfacing each word. And before he could reply, still slightly out of breath from the kiss, she walked out of the room, letting his eyes follow her out. It took him a moment to snap out of his daze, but once he did, he knew exactly what he had to do to win.

---

The next morning would be one of the students' last mornings in the sanctum, so to celebrate their progress, the two masters had arranged a rather large breakfast for their crew. Pancakes and scrambled eggs, bacon, toast, doughnuts, even muffins the two had been up late baking. Everything hard working students would want to start their day with, and they deserved it. They both agreed no matter their silly little competition, the students were making really great progress. And after a week, they started feeling comfortable enough to ask (Y/n) or Stephen slightly more personal questions, making jokes during their training and meals. So after they all ate, they spent the rest of the morning listening to stories about Stephen's old life, or some of (Y/n)'s missions, or even their most recent venture against Kaecilius and Dormammu.