Chapter 43 - This Voice

- Third POV -

"Can someone please explain to me how Eadin ended up in Stephen's head?"

(Y/n) was sitting by the large circular window in the sanctum's relic room. They had been waiting for Mordo to wake up. And while, yes, they could have sped up the process with magic or water or something, waiting gave them time to think.

Strey. In the past, before we moved to you (Y/n), Strey would push out some of your mother's Hauntlings during combat or training.

"What? Why?"

I believe it gives us more control over the enchanter's powers. The less of us there are. Strey has always had this unique ability to travel, much like the first time you met us. Can never sit still that one.

"But... why push Eadin?"

I-

The three looked up at each other, hearing the hesitancy of Eadin's words.

It's ok, Eadin. You're safe now. You don't have to say anything you don't want to.

There was a moment of silence before Vysio continued.

Strey has never been very kind to Eadin. I suspect it's partly due to the fact that Eadin was manifested directly from you and not brought over like us.

"What does that have to do with anything?"

Well, you see, since Eadin was created from your magic, not your mothers, that makes Eadin more powerful than both of us. Your magic ties directly, allowing Eadin more control and strength than myself or Strey.

I-I'm sorry I haven't been more helpful...

"It's ok, Eadin. You've nothing to be sorry about." (Y/n) said, looking up at Stephen, "Strey on the other hand..."

"Yeah... Strey, you've been awfully quiet." Stephen chimed in, busing his eyes with the relics that surrounded him before they landed on the purple gem he & (Y/n) encountered during his first trip to the sanctum. "Do you think-"

Yes. I do.

The three sorcerers all looked up at each other in confusion at Vysio's interruption.

You were going to ask about the stone, were you not?

Speechless, Stephen made his way towards the glass cabinet that housed said stone, Wong & (Y/n) making their way either side of him. As (Y/n) got closer, the stone started to illuminate, filling the case with a purple glow.

"What is it?" (Y/n) asked, hopeful Vysio would enlighten them, but instead, Wong spoke up.

"It's an ancient relic, rumoured to have once belonged to Augurium herself. But apart from that, all we know is that it's a hand chain, or a very tiny necklace."

The other two chuckled before Vysio continued.

(Y/n), do you remember what she was wearing?

It took her a minute to recall, but as she did, her eyes studied the stone even further.

"It's from her robes..." (Y/n) spoke in realisation.

Those aren't just any sorcerer's robes. They were imbued with energy and magic directly from Agamotto himself. I believe it was a present from him.

"Her robe... is her relic?" Stephen asked.

Indeed. This relic in particular, however, does not light up for just any enchanter. Or so I believe.

"Pfft. And how do you know that?" (Y/n) scoffed slightly, amused by this information.

Because your mother and father were once masters of this sanctum. And she spent everyday staring at this stone, wondering why it wouldn't light up for her.

"W-wait what...?"

"A sorcerer and an enchanter..." Stephen stated, looking over at her, the ghost of a smile tugging on his lips.

"No, it can't be-"

Parenting was more important to them, so they relinquished their responsibilities to this sanctum once you were born. And they didn't want to raise you directly in this environment. They had dreams to bring you here. They wanted to train you once you were older. Let you live your life, but always know you had a family in Kamar-Taj waiting for you whenever you needed.

(Y/n) dropped her gaze from the purple gem to the floor.

I think this could help you.

"Why didn't you say anything before?"

Wong and Stephen looked to her, seeing her eyes start to gloss over, tears threatening to escape with this new found knowledge. Wong gently nudged Stephen before moving back over to Mordo's unconscious body on the other side of the room. And as Wong left, Stephen laced his fingers in between hers, squeezing her hand gently.

In all honesty, so much has happened that the thought must have just slipped my mind. And besides, do you think you would have even trusted us right away if I told you there was a relic up here waiting for you.

She looked back up to the stone, seeing the light start to pulse and flicker.

"You make a good point..." She murmured, her eyes getting lost in the pattern of the light. That was, until, her gaze dropped to the small rune carved into the gemstone.

"Wait- that's..."

Oh, but of course. I can't believe I didn't notice before.

"The same rune from the cave."

She frantically looked around the edges of the case, looking for a latch or some sort of door.

May I?

Eadin's voice was shy, and (Y/n) smiled to herself before letting the Hauntling take over. Eadin raised her hand to the case, letting her palm press against the cold glass. Magic started seeping its way around the case, and, once it was fully engulfed in a cloud of purple smoke, her hand lowered. The smoke started to evaporate, leaving behind no trace of the glass ever being there, just the hand chain, on top of its stand. (Y/n) hesitated as she went to take the item of jewellery into her hands.

It won't harm you.

"Promise?"

I promise.

Stephen let go of her hand as she started to reach for the relic. As she picked it up, the light shone even brighter, pulsing and dancing with the light of the room. Once the gemstone made contact with her skin, however, the light died down. She raised her now decorated hand and watched as the gold metal shifted silver, then black, then back to gold.

"What's it doing?"

It's getting used to you.

"It looks good on you." Stephen smirked, watching her admire the gem.

"Oh, yeah?"

"Well, I mean, everything looks good on you." He teased, chuckling as he watched her eyes roll playfully before quickly kissing her cheek.

"No!"

The two turned towards Wong and saw Mordo now rising from the ground, his eyes alive with the same purple magic they found within (Y/n)'s eyes. They rushed over, fists up, shields conjured.

"Oh, yes. I could get used to a power like this." Mordo said, smiling down at the three, " I must say, the voice will probably get a little annoying from time to time."

Voice? Oh sh-

"What voice?"

"This voice." 

Mordo's mouth had moved, but the voice that escaped wasn't his. 

It was Strey's.

And it's heating up!

I'll probably write the post credits scene tomorrow since I think that will be a nice edition to this ff.

I love you all!

Until next time <3