Chapter 38 - Reveal What Was Hidden

- (Y/n)'s POV - 

The sounds of rain pattering against the roof woke me up. It was quite cosy to be honest. On mornings like this back in Kamar-Taj, the rain just seemed to wash away all stress and worries while the day started. Like starting fresh. The scent of the wet air and the dampness as we walked through the temple felt refreshing. And once the rain had stopped, the greenery came alive. Like somehow, the water provided each leaf with a fresh coat of paint. Probably an effect of the rain washing away the surface level dust. But there was something about the rain in the temple that felt so different from anywhere else. It felt like this.

My eyes started to flutter open, and I was met with the grey concrete walls of my room. My old room. I was back in Kamar-Taj. I rolled over, scanning my room before I saw Stephen, asleep on my reading chair. The same space I would spend hours upon hours getting lost in books and with my thoughts. And there he was. Semi-curled up, head resting against the headrest, and a book open on his lap.

I crept up, not wanting to wake him. He looked so peaceful and cute all snuggled up. And judging by the early morning rain that was now hitting my window, he must have been up quite a while, dealing with my passed out state, and moving me here. As I made my way closer to him, I realised he was reading the journal. Of course he would be reading the only source of information we had about all of this. It took me a moment to realise he was no longer in his pyjamas, but now tucked into his blue robes. I looked down and registered that I, however, was still in my bed clothes. It felt weird being back here. Especially since I couldn't remember how.

I peered back down at Stephen before placing a small kiss on his temple. He had spent so many days worrying recently, it was nice to see him sleep. It was nice to see him so peaceful for once. I moved to open my door and make my way through the temple. If I was here, Stephen must have told Wong, so that's where I was heading. I needed more information. But more than that, I needed time. Everything had happened so quickly. I just needed the time to process everything.

The halls were quiet. No doubt every soul residing within was asleep. The rain had that effect on most. Forget early morning starts when the weather is darkening the normally bright and sunny sky. 

Birds chirping? 

Rain pattering. 

If I wasn't feeling half empty I would have run into the courtyard, through the rain and straight to the garden. To be able to meditate amongst my parents, and now The Ancient One, on a quiet morning like this, would have brought me a lot of peace. But my head felt lopsided. My whole body was stiff yet jelly-like. It felt exhausted. I felt exhausted.

I was moving through the temple, and, like I usually do, had been subconsciously navigating towards... wait where?

Oh...

The Ancient One's sanctuary.

It looked empty without her presence. Her ochre robes brightened up the room even when the weather was opposed. I guess there's no harm in looking around.

It felt as though nothing had changed. The chairs and cushions were still positioned as though we had started yesterday morning in them. Chatting away and sipping tea. The teapot was still in its tray, though I'm sure it's contents were long gone by now. It was ominous, walking through a space that was usually so alive, now feeling like it had been abandoned for years, stripped of life, of soul.

There was a book opened on one of the shelves. How odd. She was always studying, but also always very meticulous about keeping her space clear and tidy since it was visited by so many sorcerers during the day. It had grabbed my attention, not only because it felt out of place, but because the book looked unfamiliar. As I walked closer, I realised there wasn't much to it. It was a book of runes.