Chapter 41 - Focus

- Third POV -

"Focus."

Stephen was standing in the training room back in the New York sanctum, helping (Y/n) better understand and control her powers. They had spent all of yesterday with Wong in Kamar-Taj processing all of this information, and today, the two sanctum master's were working on her new abilities.

Feel the energy move through your body.

You can do this!

Yeah, sure, whatever.

With the help of the three Hauntlings of course.

She was standing with her eyes closed, fists clenched into tight balls at her sides. There was a tense moment of silence before she disappeared into a purple cloud, only for her to reappear behind Stephen. He had seen her do this before, attacking a Zealot before they made their way to the hospital. Of course, she had zero control back then, and she hadn't even registered what she was doing.

She opened her eyes, finding herself on the other side of Stephen as he turned around to face her. As a smile started to creep over her lips, proud of her small progress, she was engulfed in another cloud, reappearing in a different corner of the room. Stephen caught the panic in her eyes before she disappeared, signalling her loss of control, yet again.

He watched as she started disappearing and reappearing all over the room, leaving puffs of magic dotted around. Instead of throwing a spell across the room to slow her instantaneous gateway 'pop-ups', Stephen called out to her, hoping she could learn how to stop this by herself.

"Don't panic, (Y/n). Think about the sling rings. Think about where you want to go!"

As her vision flashed between the different scenes that she was reappearing in, she heard his words calling out to her. She tried to slow the images flashing before her eyes, slowing her gateway moments.

Seriously? How can you not control this? It's so easy!

"Not now, Strey!"

Stephen and the remaining two Hauntlings screamed in unison.

(Y/n) fell forward onto her knees as she exited the last gateway, trying to catch her breath. Stephen rushed over, crouching down next to her and placing a hand on her shoulder.

"Strey's right. This shouldn't be that hard." (Y/n) expressed through heavy breaths.

Strey was born from this magic, you simply inherited it. It will take time but you will get there.

(Y/n)'s eyes stayed on the floor. Stephen knew she was being hard on herself.

"Vysio's right... You're just going to have to be patient with yourself." Stephen said before moving to place a kiss onto her temples.

There was a moment of quietness in the sanctum before Vysio spoke up.

Someone is here.

And as the two masters looked at each other, they heard what sounded like the heavy wooden doors of the main entrance swing open.

"We really should get a lock for that."

---

Once they arrived at the foyer, they were greeted by the sight of Mordo. His hands by his sides, confidence and cockiness radiating off him. His eyes though, were stern. Cold. His robes had significantly dirtied since their last encounter. Dirt and blood staining the green fabric. Tears decorated his sleeves and along the edges. 

But he wasn't alone. 

Kneeling in front of the former master was Wong. His hands were cuffed and chained to his front. His face was bloodied and bruised. And it took Stephen a second to recognise the runes that were carved into his cuffs - runes that no doubt inhibited Wong's ability to conjure dimensional energy.

"Recognise the cuffs?" Mordo's voice sang as he noticed Stephen & (Y/n)'s gaze fall onto them. "I remembered you telling us about that brilliant display you put on in the courtyard all those years ago. Luckily for me, The Ancient One still had these lying around her tattered room."

"You made your way back to Kamar-Taj? When?" (Y/n) asked. Her blood was starting to boil. How dare he infiltrate her space not only since she was now gone, but while he held zero respect for her and her actions now that he was on his path of destruction.

"So, what, am I no longer welcome back there now?"

They could feel the cold sarcasm rolling off Mordo's words. He knew he wasn't welcome there, or here as a matter of fact. But he knew, just like the other three, that it wasn't going to stop him.

"What do you want this time?" Stephen said, flicking his gaze between that of Mordo's enjoyment, and Wong's exhaustion.

"I am aware that there is an entity that holds more power than the average sorcerer." He paused, landing his eyes onto (Y/n). They didn't know exactly where he was going with this, so they waited until he continued. 

"I always thought it a shame. You and I. Equals." Mordo said as he started pacing in front of Wong. "Like one in battle. But you and I always saw the world sooo differently."

He stopped, turning to look at her. He watched the anger build in her and rise, seeping into everyone of her features. He always enjoyed toying with her, knowing he was right always annoyed her. And now, he was relishing this little moment.

Stephen moved to step forward and towards Mordo and Wong, but (Y/n) grabbed his arm, not taking her eyes of Mordo. She pulled Stephen back before allowing herself to move instead. Taking slow, pacing steps towards the other two. She let the anger settle within her. And she let it manifest into something else. Power.

"You're right."

Her words were sharp as she started to circle the room. Mordo let his hands rise to his chest, ready to conjure a weapon if needed.

"You always saw the world as a bridge. Something to be crossed. One set path. Only ever one. One wrong move and you're being carried downstream. No hope. No help."

She was now standing behind him and Wong. She glanced up, seeing Stephen's look of confusion before letting a smirk cross her face as she continued.

"But you see, this bridge that you want to so desperately cross, it wasn't just there for you to board and walk all over. Oh no. It was built. Built by the mistakes you previously made. And every time you improved, or changed, the bridge would extend. And every time you fell off, we were always there to catch you."

"You think you're going to sway my mind with 'a bridge'?" He scoffed, looking over to Stephen with amusement.

"No. I think from all your time at Kamar-Taj, with The Ancient One, with me, you've forgotten."

"And what could I have possibly forgotten?"

Stephen could now see the small trail of purple smoke (Y/n) had been trailing around the room with her. It was incredibly faint, and only noticed once he saw Wong's expression. Wong had clearly been watching it seep from her fingertips. Being on the floor and eye level to her hands, he no doubt caught on quite quickly. And as Stephen looked back at (Y/n), she gave him the quickest glance before she answered, having now rounded the room entirely.

"I hate metaphors."

Her eyes lit up and her hands ignited the ring of smoke that now lined the room before she sent small spells to slide Wong towards Stephen before they both moved out of the ring. And once it was just the two of them left in this purple arena, the flames rose, shutting out the rest of the room and the two masters now on the other side.

Perhaps later on we could do an enemies-to-lovers kind of story with Stephen haha. Villain (Y/n) sounds badass XD

Love you guys!

Until next time <3