Chapter -11: Who's Vanessa

Despite the deep conversation they had, Haerin's dad and Danielle kept the dining table lively. They recalled their childhood silly moments and laughed at them. Danielle tried to repaint herself nicely but the other 3 in the table knew exactly what a trouble she was and laughed at her poor attempts and she ended up laughing along with them. The dinner went better than expected.

Danielle helped Haerin's mom wash the dishes and Haerin went to clean up her room because her dad suggested she show Danielle around the house and of course her room too.

"I asked Haerin the other day if she wants to pursue her higher studies abroad.. in the States, do you know she got into Ador through a scholarship?" Haerin's mom asked.

Danielle shook her head,
"No ma'am, she hasn't mentioned it."

"She has sacrificed so much after her father's.... incident. We will let her go abroad if she wishes... You can try and convince her if you want her to go to the same college.."

"I... It'll be really nice if we can go to the same college.. but I promised to respect her decision, ma'am. I'll support her in whatever she decides.." Danielle replied.

Haerin's mom smiled, "You don't mind being apart from one another again? I thought you guys were best friends!"

Danielle hesitated for a second but replied shyly, "This time it might be apart but we can keep in touch.. we can remain close."

"You know, we only learnt that she hasn't bid her goodbyes after we reached here. We tried to contact you through the school but couldn't.. You must have felt horrible, I am sorry, Danielle. We let her know about leaving too late for our own security." Haerin's mom genuinely said.

"It's alright, ma'am. I understand. I hold nothing against her about it or to you or Mr Kang. Everything happens for a reason." Danielle politely replied.

"Thanks for being so understanding. You are a good kid, when you go back to your family, work hard and don't disappoint your parents. They have only done whatever they have done  for your well being only."

"I'll try my best ma'am. But unfortunately, I'm already a disappointment from birth." Danielle chuckled, "They wanted a boy."

"No way! You are a blessing, Danielle. Don't ever think like that again." Haerin's mom scolded in a motherly tone.

"But am i really? I am sorry to you too, ma'am. I was too young to understand you but now I do.. it's only normal that you'd want your daughter to grow up and have a happy and a normal family.." Danielle said softly and Haerin's mom listened intently.

"What are you talking about kid?" She inquired with a little frown.

"I am sorry, ma'am. If only I was a boy I would have made everyone happy." Danielle replied. It made Haerin's mom recall what she had said when the kids were just 9? When she saw the two girls together she knew that they'd grow up to love each other, just motherly instinct. And she once said out loud that she wished Danielle was a boy and that it would have made everything perfect.

"Oh God! Danielle, I am sorry. I must be out of my mind! How could I say such a thing to you. I am so sorry. I didn't mean anything by it." Haerin's mom apologized.

"It's okay, ma'am, that's alright. But you were worried for nothing though. She doesn't even like me like that." Danielle smiled, "she'll have her normal life."

"Danielle, have you been telling yourself that we left because of it for 4 years? That's not it, kid-"
Haerin's mom didn't finish her sentence as Haerin joined them in the kitchen. Haerin looked at her tensed mother and then to Danielle who seems to avoid her eyes.