Chapter 2

Valeria's pov

A storm raged outside the cave. The howling of the wind and the drumming of the heavy rain covered even the sound of a small waterfall. The cold air made my body shiver, but otherwise I was numb. Lost in my thoughts..

A flash of lightning and a loud rumble jolted me awake from my memories. A lone tear escaped my eye.

"Honey, where are you?" My mom asked me through mindlink.

"I'm in a cave by the waterfalls waiting for the storm to die down before I come home. Why?" I asked her.

"Val honey, I know you don't want to celebrate your birthday, but I wish we could have dinner together as a family today." She said hopefully.

I sighed. "Of course mom. I'll come as soon as I can" I said before closing the mindlink.

My birthday. Today I turned 20. I am the youngest child of Luna Ava and Alpha Jack. I have two older brothers Ethan and Aaron who are twins. They are 22 years old.
Ethan is the Alpha of the Crescent Moon pack while Aaron is the Beta because as twins their chemistry goes well together. They both have mates.

Werewolves usually find their mate between the ages of 18 and 25. You recognize your mate by their scent and when you touch them you feel little sparks.
Finding your mate is the biggest thing in many people's lives because who wouldn't want to find their other half? The one who will love and take care of you for the rest of your life.

Anyway.. Our pack is not the biggest, but we are a strong pack. My ancestors founded this pack and they were related to the moon goddess so my family is also distantly related to Selene.
Because of this, the women in the family get different abilities. For example, my mother can heal minor injuries with her touch.

I am able to share my memories with others. All I have to do is touch you and think about what I want you to see. It's like watching a movie clip of my life. Boring, I know, but sometimes it's been a very useful ability.

I looked at the entrance of the cave and listened to the storm. If only I could be here and forget the whole birthday.
Luck is not on my side because the storm has subsided to light rain. And since I'm not made of sugar I have to head home.

I grunted and got up.
The walk home takes about half an hour, so I really want to enjoy the pure smell of nature and the rain, which seems to wash away my sorrows, even for a moment.

All too soon I'm at the packhouse.
Don't get me wrong. I love my family and the pack more than anything, but this day just feels too heavy these days because of my past.

I take a deep breath and mumble "here we go" before going inside.