Chapter 40

Lucas's pov

The darkness gradually began to recede and I began to hear voices around me. My eyes felt really heavy but I finally got them open. I looked around the room until my eyes landed on my mother who was talking to the doctor. Why am I at the doctor?

"M-mom?"

My mother's attention was immediately drawn to me and she hurried over to me. Before I could say anything she wrapped his arms around me and squeezed  hard.

"Mom, I can't breathe." I whispered.

The doctor announced that he would pick up my father.

"I was so worried about you! Just lose consciousness like that. Do you understand how much I freaked out!" My mother blabbered.

"Mom calm down, what happened?" I asked.

My mother was like a deer in the headlights and couldn't say anything.

"Mom?" I asked her. Ouch my head hurts.

Just then my father came into the room and walked over to my bed.

"Nice to see you awake son. How are you?" He asked.

"My head hurts and Onyx has closed to the back of my mind, but otherwise fine. I just want to know why I'm here?" I answered him while trying to contact Onyx.

"Umm. Well, the situation is a bit chaotic.. Do you remember when we went looking for the rogue camp?" He asked cautiously.

Rogue camp.. Suddenly my heart monitor started beeping like crazy. Rogues, diversion, battle, Valeria..

"Valeria!" I screamed in panic. I tore all the wires and equipment from my body and jumped up. Bad decision because I got dizzy, but I didn't let that stop me as I growled at my parents.

"Where is she!?" Onyx also started waking up in my mind.

"Calm down son."

"Calm down? Calm down! My mate died and you have separated me from her! Where is she! Answer me!" At this point I was already enraged and stalked towards them.

"She's alive!" My mother screamed.

I halted my steps.

"What?"

"Valeria. She is alive." My mother said more calmly, holding back her tears.

It was hard to hold back my own tears as I remembered my loved one's mutilated body and how our bond was broken.

"W-what?" I asked again, my voice shaking.

My father sighed deeply. "She's alive, son. I don't know how because we all saw and felt that she passed away.. But she's alive and she's in the intensive care unit."

"Go to the mate.." Onyx whispered in my mind.

I immediately rushed out of the room towards the intensive care unit. The closer I got the better I started to smell her scent. The first tears fell from my eyes. Her scent is clean and strong and no longer weak and dirty.

I had to stop myself from breaking down the door that separated me from my mate. I opened the door quietly and there she was, my Valeria..

She was lying in bed with many devices around her. She was really pale and the signs of the battle were clearly visible on her body. But she's alive.

"Lucas.."

I turned around startled. I didn't even notice Valeria's family was in the room. Luna Ava approached me and finally gave me a warm hug.

That was all that was needed. I started crying like an inconsolable little pup.

"I-I'm so sorry. It's all my fault. I swore to protect her and I-I failed.."

"Shh.. She's here now and everything will be fine when Valeria wakes up." Ava replied and rubbed my back. The rest of the family came up next to us and I couldn't look them in the eye.

"Don't beat yourself up, son. You have already experienced the pain of losing a mate and I can't even imagine how it feels. You've got a new opportunity, try to focus on it." Alpha Jack said and I finally got up the courage to look at them.

They all looked worn out, but their eyes shone with hope and faith that Valeria would return to us. They gave me small smiles.

"You're right." I sniffled.
"C-could I have a moment alone with her?"

"Of course." Luna Ava smiled and escorted her family out of the room.

I sat down next to Valeria's bed and held her hand.

"I love you Valeria. Come back to us.."