Chapter 26

Lucas's pov

After a nice little chat, note the sarcasm, I went to talk to Valeria. Her and Rosie's talk can wait now, this is much more important.

"Exactly! Now our mate thinks we're going to force her to mate with us with some crazy wish. This is bad." Onyx was whining in my head.

"Arrgh! Stop being a bitch! It was just a misunderstood situation, I'm not that stupid either." I defended myself. "Maybe just a little horny."

"My God you are unbelievable!" Onyx growled.

"In my defense, I can't remember when I've gone this long without sex. It's already starting to have an effect."

I was just about to knock on Valeria's office door when I overheard their conversation.

"I know, sorry. So who is Nathan?"

What the hell? Why are they talking about that asshole!? Just hearing the name made my blood boil. I was already ready to slam the door open if Onyx didn't start fighting with me.

"Stop Lucas! Nothing good would come of it.." Onyx tried to stop me.

What interrupted our bickering and my intention to vent my anger on an innocent door was the pain and desperation that was clearly heard in our mate's voice.

I know I shouldn't listen to their conversation but I couldn't help myself. My mate is crying and it breaks my heart to pieces.
The longer Valeria talked about her friend, the more aware I became of how I've let my jealousy cloud my mind.

She is hurting so much.. And I haven't been able to help her because I can't think of anyone but myself and how she didn't wait for me. Although I myself have been a thousand times worse and Valeria has not used it against me since that dinner conversation in her pack! I am so stupid..

"Better to understand late than never." Onyx wised up.

Next I staggered forward and in front of me were two not so impressed women.

"H-hey girls.." I stammered embarrassed.

"Eavesdropping is an ugly habit, Lucas. See you in the evening." Valeria said blankly and walked away.

"Really Lucas?" Rosie asked.

"Shut up Rosie." I growled at her and marched into my office and locked the door.

I blocked Onyx because I wanted to think in peace. This situation does not relieve stress at all. Arranging a meeting with Alpha James has been a hassle. Then the Luna ceremony and that stupid wish. Only a few have a wish worth fulfilling, so I haven't seriously thought about what I could wish for. I can feel the headache coming on..

I woke up when someone knocked on the door. Huh, I think I fell asleep on the couch. I shufle to the door and a restless Liam was revealed behind it.

"Aren't you ready yet!?" He screamed like a woman. I glanced at the clock and I was surprisingly awake. The Luna ceremony starts in an hour! How did I sleep for so long?

"Shit, shit! Go prepare the seats. I'll take a quick shower and be there!" I said and hurried to our apartment. There was no sign of Valeria. She must be in the ballroom already.

After a quick shower, I got dressed and finished my hair. Looking good. After arriving at the ballroom, my eyes were immediately drawn to Valeria. Oh my goddess she is beautiful.

She was wearing a long white dress with long, wide lace sleeves. Her long hair was curled into big waves. For the ceremony, she had make-up done, those big gorgeous green eyes were only accentuated by the black eyeliner. Her beauty was distracted by the sadness still visible in her eyes. What would I do to take away her sadness.

I walked up to her, took her hand and kissed her knuckles.

"You look beautiful and excuse my stupidity at lunch. I would never do that to you. I have no idea what I'm going to hope for." I smiled gently at her and got a small smile back.

"I'm glad you're not that stupid." She replied jokingly and the atmosphere lightened.

Soon the ceremony started and after all the official part, Valeria is the Luna of our pack. Next it was time for me to drink the potion made by the witch and make my wish to the Moon Goddess. The drink puts the Alphas into a kind of trance during which the connection with the Moon Goddess is stronger.

My mom came next to me and I handed the drink to me.

"Choose wisely honey." She whispered in my ear and I nodded.

I took a drink and tried not to grimace. Absolutely terrible taste. I felt my eyes start to feel heavy so I closed them.

The next time I opened my eyes I was in the temple of the Moon Goddess. In front of me was a large statue depicting Selene. She's beautiful, there's no denying that, but I don't think she can compete with Valeria's beauty.

"It's nice to see that you appreciate Valeria. I was sometimes worried that you didn't care about your future mate when you were adventuring with those  human women." A voice said behind me and damn I almost had a heart attack because I freaked out so much. There shouldn't be anyone here!

I spun around and immediately recognized who I was looking at. I dropped to one knee and paid her respect.

"Moon Goddess Selene, I didn't know you were here. My wish is not complete." I told her.

"I usually don't show up except in special cases, but this time it's about Valeria. She is a distant relative and I am quite attached to her." Selene said and I felt great shame about my past.

"I love her. I really love her. If I could, I would immediately change the past so that it wouldn't hurt her now." I said sincerely.

"Is that your wish?" Selene asked.

Is it? I can wish for anything and the probability of it coming true is high because Selene is here. Evelyn's words came back to me. I could wish that all the difficulties with Valeria would be gone, that we could be like mates usually are. I could wish that my past with others would disappear. I could wish for our pack to be stronger.

"Onyx what do you think?"

"I think it's your time to show what kind of Alpha you are. But I don't think you should wish for anything that affects Valeria's own will." Onyx said and disappeared somewhere in my mind.

I thought for a long time and Selene waited patiently. Now I know.

I grinned at Selene, "I'm ready." I closed my eyes and made my wish.

This better work.