Chapter 4

Valeria's pov

After dinner I went back to my room to get ready for bed.

I couldn't sleep, I glanced at the clock which was approaching midnight. I rolled onto my back and stared at the ceiling. I can't sleep when the only thing running through my mind is my wolf.

My thoughts returned to the conversation we had with my family. I started to get sad thinking about Opal.

Children get their wolves at the age of 12 and from then on the wolf is always with you and you have the opportunity to transform into a wolf. The wolf shares a mind with you, so it's like two people living in the same body.

Opal was my wolf. I can feel how the tears start forming in my eyes and soon they already fall from the corners of my eyes.

Opal was unique. She was funny, kind and really wise. Sometimes it felt like she had the wisdom of many ages.
Our personalities were almost the same because my mother has raised me to be kind to everyone and always remember to think first before acting.

Even though I'm kind and I usually get along with everyone, I can also be stubborn and short-tempered. I'm Alpha after all.
Opal was also a really powerful Alpha wolf that was not worth annoying.
She was my partner in crime, my anchor in life. And now she is no longer here.

A stifled sob escaped my mouth as I recalled one of the worst days of my life. I was only 16 years old.

Memory:

I woke up and thought how beautiful the day was outside.
"Good morning Opal" I greeted my wolf but I only got a small growl in response. She is not a fan of early mornings.

"Let's go for a morning run before school starts" I knew this would do its job and like a miracle Opal was fully awake "let's go already Val!"
I laughed, I can almost imagine her wagging her tail excitedly in my mind.

I changed my clothes and ran out. Everyone knows that I run in the mornings so I don't need to tell them where I'm going.

At the edge of the forest I undressed and changed. The first change is painful, but after that there is not much pain. The bones popped and settled into their new shape.
Opal didn't wait in vain but quickly ran into the forest.

Each pack member knows to stay within the borders where it is safe. In a neutral area, you may come across witches, vampires or rogue wolves. Rogue wolves are the worst because they hate pack wolves and usually outright try to kill you.
Rogue wolves bear a grudge if they have been banished from the pack or their pack has been destroyed. They eventually lose their humanity.

As we ran through the trees, Opal seemed nervous "is everything okay Opal?"

"I don't know, I feel like we're being watched" Opal said, slowing her pace while looking at our surroundings.

Just then there was a loud growl and rogues appeared from behind the trees.
"Shit rogues! What are we doing Opal? There are too many of them" I asked nervously.

"Tell dad" Opal replied, keeping an eye on the rogues.

"Dad! Five rogues have crossed the eastern border and they are surrounding me" I mindlinked to him, my voice trembling.

"We are coming, hang in there Val. Don't start a fight!"
I could hear how distressed he was too.

We kept a close eye on the rogues and it seemed to me that they were communicating with each other.
And then they attacked..

I held in my screams that tried to get out. Tears streamed down my cheeks and I felt like I was close to having a panic attack. I tried to remember my breathing exercises and get my heart rate lower.

It was as if the memories and the present were mixed together. Just as I could feel every claw strike and sharp teeth in my flesh again.

That day I came close to dying for the first time. Opal was able to kill two rogues but she couldn't handle all of them.
The rogue was already ready to break my neck when the black wolf attacked it. My dad's wolf Ace saved us.

Dad and the warriors finished off the rogue wolves while my best friend Nathan carried me to the pack hospital.
I was in a coma for 3 and a half weeks. I survived, but I lost Opal. She used all her strength so that I could survive my injuries.

The first two weeks I just cried, screamed and slept when I got tired enough. In the end I just had to accept the situation, I was Alpha's daughter without a wolf. I was broken.

However, I noticed that I am still fast, strong and have an Alpha's aura. I can even growl like a wolf. Losing Opal also heightened my sense of smell and hearing. I think it's a kind of coping mechanism because Opal is no longer there for me.

I sighed and closed my eyes.

"Good night Opal, wherever you are.."