Chapter 8

Valeria's pov

In the pack house I tried to find my mom so that we can start preparing the rooms. I greeted with a smile the pack members who were doing their chores.

I spotted our head Omega Vivian and rushed over to her.

"Hey Vivian, have you seen my m-" before I managed to finish my sentence I hit the ground and groaned.

"Alpha Valeria are you okay!?" Vivian hurried to me in distress.

"It's okay I'm fine but what about you two?" I looked at the two little pups who were sitting on the ground frozen and staring at me with wide eyes.

Soon they recover from the shock and bowed to me.
"We are truly sorry Alpha Valeria. We chased each other and didn't look where we were running".

"Just Valeria is enough, kids get up and go run outside so you don't run into others" I smiled and waved them out.

"You'll be a good mother someday" Vivian said and I felt a blush start to creep into my cheeks.

"Yeah, maybe sometime. At the moment I'm in no hurry to dream about children or finding a mate. I don't think I've recovered enough yet." I mumbled.

After a awkward silence Vivian cleared her throat
"did you have something to ask for me Alpha Valeria?"

"Vivian you know you don't need to call me Alpha" I rolled my eyes at her.
"But I wonder if you have seen my mother? I had to help her."

Vivian giggled "hmm I think I saw her with Alpha Jack. They ran hand in hand to their own apartment and acted like teenagers. If you know what I mean.." she looked at me knowingly.

"Eww gross. I wouldn't have needed such an image. Umm do you know which rooms mother wanted to prepare for guests?"

"Yes, five rooms on the second floor. The doors are open so you will find them for sure" Vivian smiled and continued her own work. I waved at her and headed upstairs.
Of course, they have to stay on the same floor where my room is located.

Three rooms later, my mom arrived and said she would finish the rest of the rooms. I wished her goodnight.
I quickly went to the kitchen to make myself evening snack. On the way to my room, I heard a few younger girls giggling and talking about our guests tomorrow. Alpha Lucas in particular sounded like the main topic of conversation.

"I've heard he's really handsome"

"My sister has even seen him at some event and she said she's never seen such a gorgeus man and she's even mated!"

"It's a shame that he only interact with humans, we have no chance"

"At least we have eye candy, Beta Liam is also good-looking but mated. And we can always flirt."

I coughed and left the squealing fangirls to gossip.

Alpha Lucas. I don't understand everyone's enthusiasm for him. A man can be however handsome and wonderful but I personally don't value meaningless sex. He doesn't even date, he just takes what he wants and moves on to the next one. He must have taken advantage of dozens of women. Poor girls, I feel sorry for them. Besides, they're humans and don't understand the allure of a werewolf.

I'm not inexperienced myself. We had an intimate relationship with Nathan, but at least I didn't sleep around with several men.

Argh! Why bother with that stupid Alpha. As long as I get through this weekend, I can go back to my normal everyday life.

I thought I'd take a bubble bath to relax. There's no better feeling than immersing yourself in warm water, drinking a glass of wine and just be.

I closed my eyes and cleared my mind. My hand strayed to the scar I got the day I lost Opal. Apparently one wolf's claws were treated with wolfbane and that's why the scar didn't heal.
Three scars ran from my shoulder over the collarbone. Without Opal I would surely be dead. I moved my hand to my other collarbone where my crescent shaped birthmark is. As strange as it sounds, touching the mark brings me peace and a sense of security.

After the bath, I did my evening chores and went to bed. Once again I lay awake and stared at the ceiling for what seemed like an eternity. I growled and when I turned on my side my eyes locked on the picture on my desk.

Me and Nathan before he found Ryan.
Nathan holds me on his back and we smile widely at the camera. I haven't smiled as genuine as the one in that picture since their deaths.

"What a depressing life I have Nathan, but I promise to find my joy in life again and enjoy it."

I smiled and closed my eyes, my heart felt light. Yes, now is the time to put the past and sadness aside and focus fully on the current life.

I would never have guessed that tomorrow a cold rag would be thrown against my face once again.