Chapter 16

Onyx's pov

"Huh?" What does she mean?

"I don't know how common knowledge this is, but the women in my family have certain special qualities. For example, my mother can heal minor injuries." Valeria explained and her expression darkened.

"So you can imagine what the captured rogue went through during the interrogation. My mother interrogated him, then healed his wounds and started again. My mothers wolf Aria doesn't take it lightly if her children are hurt."

Valeria seemed to be deep in thought, but I waited patiently for her to continue what she was telling me.
She cleared her throat and continued

"Anyway, back to the topic. I want you not to tell anyone about my ability, not even Lucas. It's nothing very wonderful, but I want to tell whoever I want about it myself." She said and I nodded.

"Okay. So if I want, I can show any event of my life to another person. It's like watching a clip of a movie, either from my point of view or from a third party's point of view." She said.

"What?" I felt so stupid.

She rolled her eyes and asked again if I wanted to see her wolf, my mate Opal.

"Of course I want to! Show me." I said in a hurry.

"I'm going to hold your hand and you have to close your eyes. For the first few seconds, you feel dizzy, but it passes quickly." She clarified.

"Are you ready?" She asked me.

"Yes." I answered.

Valeria took my hand in her lap and told me to close my eyes. I did as I was told and it wasn't long before the dizzy feeling started. I tried to keep myself calm and as Valeria said, the feeling soon passed.

"You can open your eyes" I heard Valeria whisper.

I opened my eyes and found myself in a field of flowers. I wondered why I was here because there was no one here.
Suddenly a white, no, really light gray wolf ran past me. It's a big Alpha female, it has to be Opal.

I watched how it ran and jumped after the butterflies and circled among the flowers. What a playful wolf, so full of life. If only I could get a better picture of what she looks like.

It was as if Valeria had heard my thoughts because the picture started to change. The next memory was of a small waterfall. The moon shone brightly. I could see how Opal was looking at her image in the calm water.

I gasped in surprise. She's gorgeous. Now I know where her name comes from. Her eyes rivaled the stars in the sky. Eyes like opal stones, pale but you could see the variations of several colors in them.

"What do you think our mate will be like?" That sounds just like Valeria.

"Handsome of course!" A new voice laughed. Opal.. I can hear their mindlink conversation.

"Opal!" Valeria sounded annoyed.

"What? That's certainly true. But seriously, I believe that our mate is strong and smart." Opal answered and I found myself smiling.

She continued dreaming "at night when we are in a deep sleep I have seen glimpses of a black wolf with golden eyes." Opal sighed.
"I hope he's our mate. No, I'm sure he is and I love him." She continued and looked at the moon.

I felt something wet on my face and realized I was crying. My mate loved me before she found me.
The image began to fade.

"No. Not yet. Please, one more moment.." I would never have wanted to leave these memories.

The memory cleared and I heard Valeria whisper

"Go to her. Showing the memories takes my strength, so I can't take it much longer. I will keep the memory alive as long as I can."

I rushed over to Opal and sat next to her. She's even more amazing up close. She was still looking at the moon and I wondered what she was thinking now.

Then she howled and my breath stopped.

"I love you too Opal.." I whispered into the wolf's ear and this time I let the memory fade.

I woke up back to reality and saw Valeria playing with her fingers and biting her lip nervously.

"Say something.." She whispered.

I was so overcome with emotion that I acted before I thought. I put my hand behind her neck and kissed her lightly.

She gasped but soon kissed me back. The feeling was everything I had always thought a first kiss would be with my mate and more.

I broke the kiss gently and looked at Valeria.

"Thank you. I couldn't have asked for a better gift." I said quietly.

"And excuse my impulsiveness about the kiss, I couldn't help it." I smirked playfully.

"Haha, it's nothing. I enjoy it." She grinned back.

"But now I think it's time to go figure things out with the others as well and give control back to Lucas." She pouted.

I took her in my arms and buried my head in her neck.

"Don't worry, I'll talk to Lucas."

"You talk to your family and I see you in the common areas of the pack later?" I asked and Valeria nodded.

I kissed her on the cheek and left the room with a big smile on my face. Until I remembered that I have to make sure Lucas doesn't mess things up with Valeria.

I went to my room and jumped on the bed. I took a deep breath and lowered the walls of my mind so that Lucas could regain control.

"Now let's talk." I said seriously.