Chapter 25

In the following days, it was calm and peaceful.

On this particular day, Yao Yanyan was woken up by a phone call.

She had just changed the curtains in her room to a thick, almost opaque one. Ever since then, she had developed a habit of sleeping in.

She reluctantly answered the phone, still groggy: "Hmm... who's this?"

"Hey, sister?" a familiar voice came through on the other end, "Are you awake?"

"Uh-huh?" Yao Yanyan squinted her eyes and looked at the caller ID.

It read "Yao Wu".

Her pupils suddenly contracted, and she grabbed her phone and sat up: "Yao Wu?"

"Yeah, it's me, sister," the voice on the other end said.

There was the sound of luggage being dragged along the ground in the background. "I'm here."

"You're here? Where are you?" Yao Yanyan was completely bewildered.

"I'm in Fengkang Town," Yao Wu said.

"This place is so run-down, I can't even find my way around..." Yao Wu's familiar snide remarks made Yao Yanyan pause for a moment.

Without scolding her, Yao Yanyan asked: "Where are you closest to right now? Give me an address, and I'll come pick you up."

"It's all trees here, with cicadas singing all around," Yao Wu said, holding her phone with one hand and the other hand shading her eyes from the sun, frowning and looking left and right.

The girl beside her listened to the conversation and led Yao Wu to the village committee, where a red flag was fluttering not far away.

Yao Wu squinted at the waving red flag and said uncertainly to the person on the phone, "Oh... Oh? I'm at the village chief's house?"

"The village chief's house?" the voice on the other end of the phone exclaimed in surprise.

Song Bairuo rolled her eyes secretly and used an annoyed tone to correct Yao Wu: "It's the village committee."

Yao Wu frowned and glanced at her disdainfully, then turned back to the phone and said, "Oh no, it's the village committee, I think."

"Are you sure? It's really the village committee?" Yao Yanyan asked on the other end of the phone.

Yao Wu turned around and looked at Song Bairuo, who nodded at her.

"Yes, it's the village committee, I'm sure," Yao Wu turned back to the phone.

"Okay, I'll come and pick you up now."

....

Yao Yanyan changed her clothes, called Zheng Shu, and after waiting a while, she went downstairs.

A pink sports car was waiting at the door of the Cheng family's house. Yao Yanyan got in the car and said, "Go to the village committee."

"Okay, Miss," Zheng Shu replied.

The main road in the village was quite spacious, and there were few people in the morning.

Occasionally, children would see this overly luxurious sports car passing by on the roadside, but before they could reach out their hands, the car had already left their sight.

In the distance, Yao Yanyan saw a string of tall fluttering small red flags, and the car turned two corners and soon arrived at the entrance of the village committee.

Yao Yanyan leaned against the car window and immediately saw Yao Wu.

She was hiding in the shade under the tree at the entrance of the village committee, unable to name the tree.