Chapter 56

The sound of the waves crashing onto the beach seemed to pound into Yao Yanyan's heart.

Yao Yanyan's breath hitched, and she instinctively moved back, avoiding Cheng Xuan's hand.

Cheng Xuan's pale, bony hand hung in mid-air. After a moment, she forced a bitter smile and withdrew her hand.

Suddenly, Yao Yanyan felt a sense of absurdity in her heart.

The sea breeze filled her mouth and her heart. Yao Yanyan stared into Cheng Xuan's eyes, looking into her pitch-black pupils that almost revealed deep affection with a single blink.

How foolish she was to have always ignored the language spoken by her eyes, numbing her own heart. Cheng Xuan had practically laid everything out in front of her, but she had always turned a blind eye.

Yao Yanyan tried her best to control her breathing and made everything clear.

"Cheng Xuan, I'm asking you, and I want an honest answer."

"Well, go ahead and ask," Cheng Xuan's posture remained unchanged, but her fingers clenched the sand tightly, digging a deep pit.

"Do you like me?"

Cheng Xuan's mind went blank instantly.

For some reason, she had guessed that Yao Yanyan would ask her this.

But when Yao Yanyan actually said it, Cheng Xuan couldn't stop trembling all over.

"Yes, I like you." Her mind went blank, and she heard herself say it.

In that instant, her heart suddenly felt lighter.

It was as if a huge stone that had been weighing on her for five years had been lifted from her heart. She felt like a criminal who had been on the run for five years, haunted day and night by the guilt of her own crimes, and now she was finally being arrested by the police and could finally get a good night's sleep.

But when her gaze met Yao Yanyan's clear eyes, the calmness that had started to settle in her heart began to beat wildly.

She was afraid.

"If you don't want to hear it, then let's pretend it never happened, as if nothing happened at all."

Cheng Xuan could never resist Yao Yanyan's gaze. Almost every time Yao Yanyan looked at her, she would be overwhelmed.

Cheng Xuan tried to pull her hand away, attempting to escape from the spot.

But she was stopped by a hand with a black string attached to it.

"Cheng Xuan," Yao Yanyan furrowed her brows, her face filled with complex emotions, "sit back down."

Her tone was almost commanding, and Cheng Xuan's heart tightened slightly. She felt as if she had been drowned in the sea, unable to breathe.

"Are you stupid? When I hear such words, you still expect me to pretend I haven't heard anything?" Yao Yanyan's tone was incredulous, and perhaps due to her emotions, her speech speed involuntarily increased.

"When did it start for you?" she asked, her tone resembling that of an elder, but more like a curved blade that pierced Cheng Xuan's heart.

Cheng Xuan's eyes welled up, not knowing if it was out of anger or shame that she felt at this moment. Tears welled up, and she tightly closed her eyes, not wanting Yao Yanyan to notice her lack of composure. Her fingers clenched tightly in her palm.

"I can't count anymore..." she said, "I can't count how long I've liked you."

Yao Yanyan's breath trembled, and she subconsciously shook her head slightly.