Chapter 44

The other person's speech was distant, with a calm tone, completely devoid of any signs of being drunk.

Yao Yanyan's heart trembled slightly, making it difficult for her to immediately turn around and go back to the room due to some inexplicable emotions that couldn't be clearly expressed.

The woman didn't look at her again, just stared ahead.

Yao Yanyan followed her gaze to where she was looking.

In the dim light, she couldn't see clearly. Was there a window there?

Why would someone look at a window in the middle of the night?

Yao Yanyan felt a sense of unease and found this person strange. She asked in a soft voice, "Aren't you going back? It's dangerous to sit here in the middle of the night."

Her words dissipated in the air, but the woman didn't turn her head and seemed impatient. Her words were also somewhat cold. "Thank you, you don't have to worry about me."

Yao Yanyan watched her back for a few seconds and pursed her lips slightly.

This woman inexplicably made her feel worried, almost causing Yao Yanyan to forget that the person in front of her was the culprit who had kept her awake all night.

She whispered, "Wait for me," and turned back to the room.

After a while, Cheng Xuan heard a faint sound behind her. Someone was standing behind her.

She felt nauseous from being drunk, and her temples felt like they were tied in a knot, making it impossible for her to turn her head.

The woman behind her paused by her side, and then it seemed like she put something down on the ground.

The woman sniffled, her speech carrying a pronounced nasal tone. Cheng Xuan had never heard her voice before, but she had a strange sense of familiarity.

Familiar enough to make her eyes well up with tears.

"If you can't handle it, just drink some water. Don't stay in the hallway at night. Although the security is good here, it's still dangerous for you to sit here all night."

After speaking, she got up and before returning to her room, she added, "Um... I know it may sound a bit... I hope you won't think I'm meddling too much."

"It would be better if you drank less alcohol, went to bed early. Otherwise, it's really harmful to your health all day long."

With that, the door closed.

Cheng Xuan turned her gaze and saw the water placed beside her.

Mineral water, perhaps prepared specifically at room temperature to avoid harming her stomach.

Cheng Xuan didn't have the habit of consuming food given by others, so she just picked it up, took a look, and put it back in its place, continuing to gaze at the huge window across from her.

She kept looking for a long time until she saw the night sky on the horizon gradually tinged with a watercolor hue, turning into an ink-blue color. Then she covered her head, bypassed the bottle of water, and returned to her own room.

Yao Yanyan went to work and as soon as she opened the door, she noticed the untouched water at the staircase.

She picked it up and looked at it. The bottle was unopened, which meant that no one had taken a sip.

She frowned slightly and glanced at the closed door next to hers.

She thought about knocking and asking, but she was afraid the person might be sleeping, so she carried her bag and the bottle of mineral water and went downstairs.