Chapter 55

After speaking, she subconsciously rubbed the hem of her pants with her fingers, her expression resembling that of a middle school student caught smoking, waiting for parental criticism.

Too well-behaved, it made people inexplicably want to tease her.

Yao Yanyan suppressed her smile, put on a somewhat serious expression, and tried to imitate the serious parents and teachers in her memory. "So, you're not addicted, huh? But you seemed quite skilled while smoking."

"No, really, I'm not addicted," she suddenly looked dejected, like she had done something wrong. "I don't smoke more than twice a year. It just so happened that you saw me today."

"In that case, will you hide and smoke next time?" Yao Yanyan said jokingly.

Unexpectedly, Cheng Xuan took it seriously.

"I won't hide and smoke," she said, her dark eyes staring straight at Yao Yanyan. "I just won't smoke next time."

Yao Yanyan didn't expect her to take it so seriously. She met her gaze and felt her heart skip a beat. Nervously, she replied, "I was just teasing you, Cheng Xuan."

"You're an adult now, whether or not you smoke, how much you smoke, it actually has nothing to do with me."

"I know," she said, stepping into the room and closing the door.

As the door closed softly, Yao Yanyan listened and inexplicably panicked, but the other person didn't take a step forward, only leaning against the door panel.

"I'm not afraid that you'll get angry, sister."

"I'm afraid you won't like it, won't like the smell of smoke on me."

"No... I don't dislike it," Yao Yanyan furrowed her brow slightly, her thumb unconsciously pressing on the second joint of her index finger.

It was a gesture she only made when she was nervous.

The previously cozy room suddenly felt restless and chaotic because of the sudden presence, making Yao Yanyan inexplicably anxious. She wished she could escape through the window, far away from Cheng Xuan.

However, it seemed that the other person was completely unaware and leaned against the door panel, asking her.

"So, do you still like it, sister?"

The vague question didn't make it feel like they were talking about a simple cigarette.

In fact, Cheng Xuan knew deep down that she wasn't just talking about a cigarette.

She had never felt so flustered in her life, her hands clasping the doorknob tightly behind her back, hoping that Yao Yanyan could hear the subtext of her words, and yet begging her to overlook it, not taking her rare audacity to heart.

She regretted it, yet she didn't regret it. Complex emotions surrounded her, waiting for a single sentence from the other person to determine whether she would be set free or sentenced to death. Deep down, she mocked herself for being too ridiculous.

Fortunately, Yao Yanyan didn't make her wait too long.

Her words were light, "I don't like it, but I don't dislike it either."

She was talking about the cigarette.

Cheng Xuan relaxed her shoulders, revealing a somewhat unattractive smile, tugging at her skin. "Is that so?"

"Yeah," Yao Yanyan looked down, not knowing what she was looking at, then suddenly said, "Cheng Xuan."

"Hmm?"