Chapter 27

"What are you doing..."

The faint voice murmured in a mysterious and misty manner.

Children at her age always had certain characteristics, even if they occasionally had a heavy academic workload, it seemed like they never ran out of time. So they could enjoy their youth to the fullest, carefree and proud. However, Cheng Xuan didn't possess these qualities.

She was an anomaly, someone who didn't fit into the social circle of her peers. If the peer group was clean water, Cheng Xuan was like a black stone, unable to blend in.

Yao Wu scoffed and felt that she was pretending.

She swung on the swing, halfway through her game, when Zheng Shu arrived in his car with tonight's dinner.

"Miss Wu, you don't need to touch it, just bring it up." Zheng Shu said, carrying a sandalwood box containing the food.

"Mm." Yao Wu nodded, retracting her hand that was pretending to play, pressing the pause button on the game screen. She followed Zheng Shu back to the courtyard, hopping and bouncing like a little rabbit.

Her black platform sandals were a bit unsteady on the ground, and Zheng Shu had to be careful to ensure that Yao Wu didn't get too engrossed in the game and twist her foot. He opened the door for her.

The overpowering aroma of the food burst out from inside the house. Yao Wu instinctively sniffed and her pitch-black eyes glanced towards the dining room.

There was a short crystal curtain hanging at the entrance of the dining room, allowing a clear view of the inside. Yao Wu saw three people sitting in the dining room: an elderly woman and two young children.

One of the little girls was sitting next to the little boy, feeding him spoonfuls of food.

Yao Wu instinctively furrowed her brow, feeling that something was off.

It wasn't until they went upstairs that Zheng Shu took out three lunch boxes from the large sandalwood box, and Yao Wu faintly realized what was wrong.

The sound of a door opening came from the inner room.

Yao Yanyan had just woken up, wearing a white nightgown, with her long hair cascading behind her. She squinted as she came out of the bedroom.

"Mmm..." She lazily emitted a sound from her nose, hanging her disheveled hair, and plopped down on the sofa.

Zheng Shu silently poured a glass of cold water and handed it to Yao Yanyan.

"...Thank you, Uncle Zheng. You can go back now." She spoke as if in a daze, took the glass, and gulped it down, finally becoming slightly more awake.

"Alright, Miss." Zheng Shu nodded, carrying the sandalwood box, and went downstairs.

Yao Wu observed Yao Yanyan for a few glances. Sensing her gaze, Yao Yanyan looked at her with peach blossom eyes and said, "If you're hungry, go ahead and eat."

"Oh..." Yao Wu sat down next to Yao Yanyan. "Sister, why do you prepare three meals every day?"

Yao Yanyan rubbed her eyes and rested her head on the sofa. "Hmm? That's for Cheng Xuan."

Just waking up, she couldn't hold back her words and blurted them out. "Her family won't cook for her, so if we don't bring her food, she'll go hungry."

Yao Wu was momentarily stunned, remembering what she had seen earlier. She felt an intense sense of disgust and anger in her heart.

Having never witnessed the dark side of the world, she didn't believe her sister's earlier words in the afternoon. But now, faced with the reality, she couldn't deny it. Her subconscious mind believed most of it, despite her initial disbelief.