43

Authors P.O.V

2:04 AM. 

Hayeon lay in bed, wide awake. 

She hated this feeling. Feeling so tired she could hardly feel her body and yet, not being able to fall asleep. It'd been almost hours ever since she'd wrapped herself up in her blanket and switched off the lights, but no avail. 

Her bedside lamp was on and the black-haired girl couldn't help but just sit up and lean against the headboard after tying back her hair. 

She sighed, wandering whether she should go snack on something or lie down again and attempt to fall asleep. Eventually settling for leaving, she tore the sheets away and grabbed her phone, only to stop. 

Knock knock. 

Hayeon felt her heart freeze, still sitting in her bed but upright now with her ears pricking up to the knocking sounds she heard. 
They were from the front door. Two, loud, clear knocks. 

No, she could've heard wrong. It was two in the freaking morning, past midnight where everybody would be asleep so who in their right mind would be knocking at her door? 

She'd heard wrong. There was no other plausible explanation. 

Slowly releasing the breath she'd been holding in, her muscles relaxed a little as she tried to calm herself down. 
But that was not it. 

She flinched a little when she heard the quiet sounds of keys, somebody pressing them gently and instantly her blood ran cold. 

She could hear the keypad that locked her apartment door being tried, and the error sound popping up afterwards. 
There was no way she could've misheard that, especially when her room was situated right beside the apartment door. 

"Calm down". She muttered to herself, her voice shaking as she tried to block out her thoughts. "Its nothing. Its nothing okay". 

But it wasn't nothing. As far as she was concerned, somebody was trying her pin pad code and here she was sitting completely frozen as anxiety ripped her apart. 

Knock knock.

Slapping a hand across her lips, she stopped the scream that was about to leave her lips. Her body broke out into a cold sweat and she could feel the hammering of her heart in her chest. 

Panic flooded her body like water in a sink. 

She couldn't move. Heck, she couldn't even think straight as her mind was a full blur and her vision unfocused. 

She was thinking thoughts. Bad thoughts.

"No, no.." She muttered quietly to herself, shaking her head in denial. "No, its nothing". 

But her body was trembling. 

She couldn't stop the explosion of dread that imprisoned her nor the fear that froze her body to ice as she sat there with complete terror sinking her heart. 

Stop thinking. Just stop. 

"You're overthinking it". She convinced herself desperately. "Its not.. its not anything". Her mind flashed back to the previous passed year and she shut her eyes. "No, stop".

Hayeon's chest tightened and she could feel it coming. The anxiety that pressed its hands against her throat, not allowing her to inhale deep breaths, had her in a chokehold. 

Something was pinning down against her neck. 
She could almost feel it. 

The ringing of her phone made her shriek in fright as she jolted back to reality. Her eyes snapped to the phone resting on the bedside table, fingers shaking as she slowly reached out for it.