Nine

It was the day of early admissions. I dressed in a fancier and classier outfit, in hopes to convince Princeton I was professional.

I gathered everything I would need that day, reciting my speech over and over again in my head. Everything I said and do had to be perfect in order to impress my dream college.

I entered school, breathing heavily at even the sight of the college reserved area in the distance. Ethan came from the other side of the hall.

"I like your outfit. You look like a little business lady." He tossed his empty bag from his snack aside. "It's hot."

He kissed my neck quickly. "Want to go to the supply closet?"

"Mr. Morales, pick up your trash!"

Ethan sighed at the sound of an adult bossing him around. He took one look at my stern face and picked up his trash and tossed it into the trash can.

"Sorry, I have early admissions. Remember?"

"Oh, yeah. Good luck."

I entered the room full of college stands and people trying to get in line for them. After wandering around, I spotted Princeton.

I nervously got in line, looking at the competition around me. The line felt like forever, hearing people's long and boring speeches.

Mine didn't sound quite like theirs. It was long enough, but it got to the point and didn't bore the Princeton lady.

When it was finally my turn in line, I recited my speech rather quick because of my anxiety. The lady didn't seem like she hated it, but she also didn't seem very impressed, which I noticed.

"You didn't like it," I sighed.

"Well-"

"Can I please have another chance? I can do better than this."

"I'm afraid your time's up."

I left, storming out of the college area. If only I wasn't such an idiot.

Ethan sat on one the school's couches, his legs sprawled out onto the table in front of him. I sat down next to him in a huff.

"y/n, aren't you supposed to be at your dork conference?"

"I was. Until I totally blew it. The rep hated my speech."

"What. Listen, do you want me to slash her tires or something?" he asked, now sitting on the table in front of me.

I was distracted when I saw the Princeton lady walk in. "Ethan, this is my chance!"

I took off and she smiled at me. "I'm hear to take you up on your offer," she said, motioning towards a table for the two of us to sit at.

Thanks so much for all the support on this story!